Here’s the game I worked on :
<< What when right >>
Colors : Usually I’m not very good at restricting my color palette, but this time it was ok.
Apart of the title screen all the tiles are 4 colors only ( counting the alpha )
Different plays modes, titlescreen + ending : I could polish the game a bit more than expected and I’m happy with the result.
Supply : Well, I guess I’m not the only one here, but I had a very good help from my wife for food and drink supply.
We’re currently traveling, and she agreed that we stop one week-end for the LD and spent a lot of time bringing me the best indian food when I was coding days and nights in the hotel.
<< What went wrong >>
Complexity : This minimalism theme was a chance for me to be more concise and focus on one basic and simple idea.
I was thinking I will achieve that by making a simple roguelike with 4 direction only control.
But once again when I came to leveldesign , I freaked out and create tons of redundant options/monsters.
Four heroes : This was the first mistake, the core idea was good enough to work without specific heroes mechanics.
I think I added them because I’m always troubled with the game replayability.
So I decided to add those 4 heroes, and eveldegign became a real nightmare
Leveldesign : Obviously, creating 4 puzzle with only one solution per hero is almost impossible in 48h
I should have foreseen that, but once again I was too ambitious. I had a very clear idea of the objective, and I didnt took time to check if it fits in a 48h compo.
So my solution was : Ok, let’s play with the 4 heroes in a row in the 4 levels and maybe nobody will notive my problem. That’s cheap.
Now I’m a bit disapointed because I can see the game potential, and I think I ruined it with some very poor leveldesign.
No music : I postponed it until the last 3 hours and then realized that I had no time to do it, just 1 hour rush for sfx. Very sad. I know those kind of puzzle doesn’t need a music so bad, but I wanted a complete game