This is my post-mortem for my Ludum Dare 25 game, Kleptomaniac. Kleptomaniac is a topdown-stealth game, you can check it out here.
What went well:
- I did some small things that really saved time. I made a special object corner for the walls, so that it automatically sets to the right corner dynamically. If I had to manually do this it would have costed me a lot of time.
- Level design, I mostly did level design in Paint.NET and then I would turn it into a level in about an hour. This went pretty quickly which was pretty good.
- Planning my time, I did all my code on Saturday and the art, SFX and music on Sunday.
What went wrong:
- The controls aren’t the best. It would be better if I had just used WASD instead of WS + Mouse. I realized this at a late stage in the compo, with only a few hours to spare and while implementing it wasn’t hard, it broke a lot of my collision code and so I decided that I wanted to stay with WASD.
- The music is slightly repetitive, around the fifth level it gets annoying, so I should have probably made 2 soundtracks instead of just one. I really need to learn this, because it is something I do 9/10 times.
- Making the story, the story was honestly the last thing I did. I had all my levels done and I had to change a lot of objectives just to make my story right. After all it is still a shitty story.
Overall I think the game turned out okay. It’s definitely not the best game I ever made but people seem to be enjoying it apart from a few little things here and there. I probably won’t start working on a post-compo version, because I don’t really feel like it.