Ludum Dare 29 — April 25th-28th Weekend [9 PM EST] — Theme: ??? (Theme Voting!)
  • Ludum Dare 29 Compo (48 Hour+Solo+Scratch+Src) Begins: in 2 days, 8 hours, 18 minutes, 44 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 29 Jam (72 Hour+Teams OK+Relaxed) Begins: in 2 days, 8 hours, 18 minutes, 45 seconds
  • [ MiniLD 50 | Warmup Weekend | Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | Wallpaper ]

God help me… (NSFW!)

Posted by (twitter: @@coderTrevor)
    December 15th, 2012 3:18 am

So, after about four hours of brainstorming, I had one and only one, SIMPLE idea for a game involving the theme. And that’s to make some kind of hentai game, one of the really reprehensible ones. If you are a minor or are at work, stop reading now. If you don’t know, now might be a good time to read up on hentai games before clicking further:

hentaiGame

Just to be very clear, this is meant to be parody. It’s meant to be funny, because it’s insanely offensive and yet, insanely innocuous because of the cubey, simplified style. For me, it was art that demanded to be made, despite what I wanted.

It’s possible that now I can move on to a better idea; I’m looking for some feedback.

If I make this, the story would either lean far to the rape side of things, or at least give the player the option. I want it to be as offensive as possible but again, using just cubes and such. One story / title I was thinking of was “Disfigured Squid-People from Space Need Love Too!” Remember, this is parody, I want it to be over-the-top or there’s little point in doing it, IMHO.

Play it here

And if that’s not creepy enough for you,

Here it is with a Mr. Bean face (will probably take this down post-compo, not sure about the Copyright on this one)

My question is, does anyone “get” this? Should I keep making it or abandon it for something children can play?

15 Responses to “God help me… (NSFW!)”

1. RylandAlmanza says:

Haha, I like it. :) I say keep going.

2. Jedi says:

Actually, I think I’m started to see the story, it’s not rapey, it’s a love story. But Alien-tentacle-rape IS involved…

3. jonbro says:

Be very very very careful with rape parody. Very careful. In fact, unless you feel like you would be comfortable with talking about this game to someone that has actually been raped, I would say don’t do it. You probably have either a family member or friend that has been, or will be raped, and you just don’t know it.

• Jedi says:

Thank you, I’m re-writing the story such that it’s not really rape (although I’m not sure it can be obvious before playing it through). I don’t mean to be insensitive, that’s why I made it clear this was a HENTAI game and put the “More” link in my post.

I wouldn’t talk about this game to someone I wasn’t totally comfortable with, just like I wouldn’t share some other hentai game I knew about with my Mom or Grandma. This isn’t meant to appeal to everyone and no matter how sensitive I try to be it never will.

Thanks for the feedback again, though.

4. jonbro says:

Huh, ok, now that I have played it, I think you shouldn’t make it… Your title card against “stick asses” playing it give away the fact that you probably have not talked to a victim of rape, or if you have, then you were dismissive of them.

5. Zed says:

…Yeaaaah, I’m thinking this probably won’t go down too well with most people. Me, I’m pretty thick-skinned, so I don’t really care, but I’ve learned before that you have to be aware of the social context you’re releasing a game into.

You can’t just say “This is it and don’t play it if you don’t like it” anymore, because there are going to be people who WILL play it and WON’T like it anyway. I guess I would say if you’re going to go ahead with this, be prepared to deal with whatever the consequences end up being.

• Jedi says:

I have no real reputation ATM so maybe any publicity is good publicity? I mean, really, I didn’t come up with this genre, I don’t think I need to bear all the responsibility for it’s existence.

• jonbro says:

You may not have come up with the genre, but you are perpetuating it. Also you bare the responsibility for creating this game. If you don’t want the consequences of that, then don’t make it.

Regarding nothing being indicative in game of rape, you should take into account the framing of it. If all of the meta stuff (i.e. your blog posts, and the game title) suggest that the in game actions are non consensual, that will have an effect on peoples perception of the game itself. I would be totally ok with it if you were making a bdsm game, or maybe one where the character was playing the part of a tentacle monster, but within the context of the game world this was explained.

i.e. I totally think this game is ok: http://l.j-factor.com/gmhtml5/Bind_Her/ because it is clear from the in game communication that it is consensual (i.e. smiles and winking). You could even get away with in game pain if you frame it right, you just aren’t doing that yet.

6. Jedi says:

Okay, fine, alien-tentacle “romance,” if you must. Maybe I just won’t put in any story at all. How are you supposed to be the villain though? And how am I supposed to follow the fine tradition of hardcore games from Japan?