Post Production Checklist
If you haven’t launched a game before, here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
Making a Trailer
- Gather Footage (screen capture program is likely needed)
- Learn the basics of a video editing program (if you don’t know how already)
- Edit the footage
- Make a Youtube account and post it
Here’s our Trailer.
Here are some of the things you are usually required to have:
- Buying an account: Most marketplaces require you to purchase an annual membership. iPhone for example costs 99$ a year.
- Tiles and/or Boxart: These are easy to forget despite how important they are. Each marketplace has there own specific dimensions that you MUST meet. Here is our XBLIG Box Art for Knight Souls.
- Description: Provide a good description of your game so a potential player will know what your game is and why they should buy it. If your not providing a free trial this is even more important, as the player only has this information to go off of.
- Keywords: Think of some great keywords so people can find your game easily.
- Screenshot: Most marketplaces require at least one screenshot. These usually have specific dimensions that you must follow.
- Category: Pick an appropriate category to place your game in. Here are some potential choices: action + adventure, platformer, puzzle, role playing, shooter, etc.
- Bank Account and/or PayPal: That 1$ needs to go somewhere after all.
- Platform Requirements: Each platform will have there own set of requirements you must follow. For example, Windows Phone requires a support button.
Releasing the game
Here are some things to expect when releasing the game:
- Submission period: It can take anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks from the the day you submit, till the time it hits the marketplace. In my experience it has taken about 5 business days.
- Rejected: Your game can end up being rejected if it has bugs or if you do not meet some of the platforms requirements.
Well it’s 2:00 in the morning, I think this list will do for now. Feel free to add more to the list in the comments if I’m missing anything here.