I’m usually the worst at starting a project and not finishing it, so I’m going to try to use the October Challenge to finally get something out the door. That something is a game I’ve been working on and off on called Tumble Tooth.
In Tumble Tooth, you need to direct a tooth out of a sewer. The catch is that you don’t have any control over the tooth itself. Instead, you need to rotate the entire world, challenging you to avoid obstacles and most importantly, keep your sense of direction.
The plan is to release both a web Flash version and an Android version. So far, I’ve been pretty good about making a mobile build as up to date as the web build, sometimes even putting it as the preferred version, but there’s still so much work I’d like to do, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to keep up. The tasks I’d like to get in before the end of the month include:
- Re-skinned, scaling UI.
- Content. Always need more content for a puzzle game. I can add more later, but I need a decent amount at launch.
- Sound and music. Not quite sure what I’ll do for these, but I’ll figure something out.
- Analytics. Maybe it’s because I work on Facebook games for a living, but the idea of launching a game without analytics seems crazy to me. I’ll probably go with something simple like tracking when a mission is played, failed, and won so I can get a rudimentary idea of where drop off happens and keep an idea of how often people play.
- Another pass at art.
Any extra time will be spent on content and puzzle mechanics.
Tonight, I spent some time just going back through the source code to re familiarize myself with everything. The real important gain was that I finished working on an trigger-event system to toggle visibility and collision on parts of the level. This essentially allows part of the sewers to go “behind” other parts, and really opens up what I can do with level design.
You can follow my progress at mcb.ee and @mscottmcbee, both of which are pretty empty at the moment. mcb.ee will be reposts of updates I make here for now, but I’ll try to keep it up to date after October