First let me apologize for the delay. Thank all of you who played the game, left comments and feedback.
Now on to the Post Mortem:
Things that went well:
- Unity Is a great engine. Simple to pick up and work with. Curtis, our lead programmer, happens to actually be an artist first, and over the course of a couple of months was able to gain enough knowledge to make a solid game loop.
- Using Google hangout to coordinate everyone.
- Blender, My Paint and Gimp provided all of us a smooth pipeline for rapid asset generation.
- The Aesthetics, the team managed to keep a consistent look throughout the game.
- Spanking Boars was strangely addictive.
- Misfit Chris awesome music.
Things to improve:
- Camera System, It’s hard to see around corners and you could be attacked without warning.
- High level of difficulty, with high level criteria and no health pick ups, the boars can easily destroy you. Maybe that’s a plus thematically. (Survival of the fittest.)
- Death bug. It’s a very minimal bug that doesn’t break the game but can be annoying.
- Add Particles!
- Improve Animations speeds.
- Story elements.
The only bad thing that happened during the jam was when we opened the Pixel Oaks hangout to the public, we had a random ‘visitor’ show us his ‘metapod’s’ harden ability. We immediately reconsidered and switched our hangout to private.
Most of the things on the improve list are being worked on as we speak and most have been fixed, but we are also heavily considering making a full game based on the characters of the game.
If you have not done so please play our game and tell us what you think. You can view our entry here. Or click the picture.
Make sure to follow PixelOaks.com for any future indie projects from us.