Its some days after the Ludum Dare and I had some time to think about the development. As I wrote in the last post, I am happy that I finished it, but there is plenty of room for improvement.
The GUI design and graphics took me longer than expected, because I had to draw more stuff. This was because otherwise the player would not have sufficient information about the game state. A thing not to underestimate.
The player mechanics were a bit more complicated than expected. This took me also longer to implement. Especially the movement of enemies and the player together (speed, timings) took a bit longer. The tweaking, though still not perfect, took a long amount of time.
I was a bit faster with the map, since the game ended up being a bit shorter than expected.
I also cut away all sound, music and additional effects.
Lessons from this LD:
- Planning and re-planning is a very good way to reach the goal of finishing something
- Graphics can be more simple to save time for graphics
- Some gameplay elements should be optional and only be implemented when there is time
You can watch me programming the game on youtube: