It was an entertaining experience watching my own timelapse. I believe that, if you know about what you see on a timelapse, it becomes more interesting. The tools you see me use are the following:
- xterm (IDE)
- vim (text editor),
- Gimp (sprite editor),
- Inkscape (vector editor),
- Evolvotron (texture generator),
- as3sfxr (sfxr as3 port).
By looking at the timelapse frame by frame, it was also possible to analyse the time I spent on different aspects of the game. I counted one frame simply as 30 seconds.
|TOTAL:||1032 min = 17.2 hours|
|Background textures:||23.5 min|
|Sprites session 1:||43 min|
|Sprites session 2 (shading):||28.5 min|
|GFX TOTAL:||116 min = 11.2% of total|
|Text boxes:||31.5 min = 3.1%|
|Audio:||17.5 min = 1.7%|
I spent more on graphics than I thought, a solid 2 hours. Still it’s only 11% of total time, so there’s not that much to optimize there. I spent very little time on audio, only 1.7% of total, so I shouldn’t be afraid of spending a little more time there. Most of the rest is spent coding (about 2/3, I did not count these frames because there were too many), and playing the game (about 1/3 of the time).