Game can be played here.
I actually ended up skipping sleep on the second night, because I realized I would not be close to getting finished if I slept. I don’t really regret it, the closer it came to the deadline, the more awake I felt so it turned out alright.
What went right:
Flashpunk- This is the second time I’ve used Flashpunk for Ludum Dare. I didn’t run into any problems with this.
Graphics- The nes style graphics were pretty quick and easy to make while still looking good.
World design- I think I did a good job at making a fun world to explore, with the world expanding with every evolution.
Concept- When I started, I was just making a platformer where your character could evolve into different beings. I pretty quickly thought up a better idea of the game itself evolving through different era’s of gaming. (Oddessy > Atari > NES > SNES. I didn’t start on the snes era, however…). I’m planning to continue working on this and develop the concept further.
What went wrong:
Basic Engine- I spent more time then I’d like to admit trying to make a simple, non-glitchy platformer engine. I’m not very good at it.
Scope to large- I intended to make the game world even larger and add shops and additional abilites, etc. Right up until the deadline I was still trying to add new content.
Enemies- The game only has 1 enemy type and 1 boss, and their movement patterns just have them moving left and right. I would have liked to have many enemies and a good boss or two.
Coins- Coins were originally going to drop from defeated enemies, and you could use them to purchase new abilites (Thus, evolving your abilites), example include charging your sword for higher power and range, the ability to attack upwards/downwards, etc.
I will continue to work on the game, then I’ll release the game as I intended it to be. The finished version will have the 16-bit evolution that I didn’t have time to make, as well as the ability the switch between the different era’s at will. It should allow for some interesting levels and puzzles.