Our comp entry is here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-24/?action=preview&uid=5234 Also embarrassingly, apparently Aqualution is a soap brand name so that’s probably not going to stick.
Evolution is actually one of my favorite game mechanics, but I was completely at a loss for what could be implemented in only a few days. That was the biggest hurdle.
A lot of game mechanics fell by the wayside and the idea of evolving powers turned into just growing into a bigger newt and surviving a hostile environment. I got most of the art done that I wanted to, but Alex of AvibeGames didn’t have enough time to code everything in and make it functional so we worked with what we have ready in the framework. Jack did the music and got it to us very quickly for the few songs we needed for gentle ambiance. It was a pleasure to work with my team and friends, I learned a lot about how to make pixelart and it’s likely this project will roll into a bigger post-Dare game or another one.
Things we succeeded at:
- Making a nice atmospheric sidescrolling game
- Simple and varied enemies
- A health and EXP system
- Smooth water floating and dashing physics
Other things that got the chopping block:
- Key/Door unlock mechanic
- Longer bosses and levels
- Moray eel and giant octopus
I always look forward to Ludum Dare, succeed or fail, as motivation and a learning experience every time. Even if you don’t finish, I think it’s important to post your work—you’ll get valuable feedback for later from your peers.
The secret to my success this time was remembering to take breaks, but not too many. Sleeping, cranking the music up full blast and getting shit done. And sometimes I didn’t, so I’d rush to make up for it, but I’m proud of what we have to show already.
Tags: action, alexandervrs, aqualution, avibegames, bcs, buttercupsaiyan, evolution, flash, game, gamemaker, headache, indie, jack darcy, jam, Ludum Dare, neoteny, newt, pixelart, salamander, screenshot, sidescrolling, sprites, underwater