First of all, for all who played my game, thank you. And for those who also commented… you are the best! Really, thanks a lot! I’ll make something great from this game, I promise!
If you still haven’t, why not give it a try?
After one day of resting (and some 20 games played xD) I’m felling like writing a post-mortem about my LD entry: EVO – X.
I must say that this was by far my best compo so far (also, my third one). In the first one, I slacked off a lot… The result was a really buggy “game”.
Then, for my second one, I tossed my original project away and started a new one with less than 10 hours to end compo. Needless to say, the game was far from complete (and the hurry to finish it made me forget to include the theme… xD).
This time was diferent! I pretty much spent all my weekend working on my game. I’m really happy with some of the results, but I know that if I had manage my time better I would have made a better game…
What went right:
- Idea: This time I was able to come up with a fun idea from the start of the compo. It was also an idea I was pleased with.
- Graphics: I was amazed with what I could do! I’ve been drawing a lot of sprites in pixel-art lately, but none with animation. Also, one day before the compo I tried to make some tiles… which came in hand when I had to do a dirty and a grass tilemap.
- Audio: Somehow, I was able to compose all 3 songs in less than 2 hours. The menu and stage ones were really quickly done… The boss battle song took a lot longer, comparatively…
What went wrong:
- Gameplay: Ok, I had a nice initial idea, now I should make it into a great game! Only I didn’t… more like, I couldn’t… During the development, lots of design decisions made sense for me, but now I see (was shown, actually) that it wasn’t that way… One example? Well… turns out throwing the player into a hole filled with enemies (innocently, so he can get enough exp to evolve… lol) without even letting him understand how battle works wasn’t such a great idea… xD
- Scope: Or “knowing what to cut out before it’s to late and you doesn’t have something half complete”. That sums it up. xD
- Graphics: What I did is nice… but there is so much that must be added… There’s no “contour” for the tilemap, the player doesn’t change form as it evolve, there’s no background, I forgot the goddamn particles, some of the character’s animation are weird (I swear that there is a “jump” frame… )… >_<
- Compiler: I made the following declaration:
private var mobs:FlxGroup;
and then, used it this way:
(mobs as FlxGroup).add(baddies);
Why did I have to cast something to it’s own class? And if I didn’t do that, an error would be raised by the compiler. @_@
- Audio: Though I liked the songs, I only noticed earlier today that I forgot completely about sfx (and I was going to use sfxr, so it wans’t going to be hard)…
- Checkpoints: I know that the game is quite frickin’ hard, but I had implemented some nice checkpoints, where you would respawn with all your stats saved from when you passed it and full life… But the flash kept crashing for no aparent reason whenever I tried to use it… It went as far as to make a variable that I assigned null (which was of FlxSprite type) store a FlxPoint… HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?? O_O I really need to fix some stuff…
So, yeah… it isn’t a complete game, nor is it good… but I’ve been improving! I’ll make something great, eventually!!
Thanks for reading. =D