Cool competition. I love the community surrounding this event. This is the first Ludum Dare that I have participated in.
My game is The Origin, a game about young Darwin scientifically learning about the secrets of evolution. My goal was to create a non-violent game that showcase the scientific process of exploration and documentation. I wanted to use Darwin’s log book as a way to tell the story as you progressed through the game.
Things that went well:
- Core mechanics of exploration and documentation.
- Young darwin character; I believe the animations were appealing and expressive.
- Sound; I composed a short theme song, also used as3sfxr to create a few sound effects.
- Story; Darwin’s journal. I thought it worked well both as a segway to the next level and added some story telling elements.
Things that could have gone better:
- Background tileset was very basic and boring. I ran out of time to create interesting graphics.
- Level design; again time was a factor here… I was able to design 3 short gameplay levels.
- Enemy AI; This was basically non existant. My goal was to have the enemies patrolling back and forth to push the player off ledges.
- Overall game time; In the end, I only delivered about 5 minutes of gameplay. I would have liked to have at least doubled this.
Thanks for checking out my game, and I’ll probably come back for another competition in the future!