Home | Rules and Guide | Sign In/Create Account | Write a Post | Reddit | #LD48 | #ludumdare on irc.afternet.org (Info)

Ludum Dare 31 — Coming December 5th-8th 2014! — Join the Mailing List!
Also check out the Ludum Dare 30 results!
  • Ludum Dare 31 begins: in 74 days, 10 hours, 46 minutes, 35 seconds
  • (Time might be off, we’ll have it right soon) | Real World Gatherings (Now Open!)


    Another LD another failure

    Posted by
    August 27th, 2012 11:35 pm

    Oh well, I’ll keep trying. Problem was I started on a technically challenging idea that I thought should be relatively straightforward once I got the technicalities out the way, but after wasting quite a long time on it I realized that I probably wouldn’t even be able to get past that stage before running out of time and it would be better to move onto something else. To make it worse I stayed up very late and hardly got any sleep so my brain wasn’t quite working properly the next day and I kept making stupid bugs, getting frustrated and such. So  I got some proper sleep and made quite a lot of progress but I knew I wouldn’t be able to finish, spent the remainder of my time on it making it just look good so I’d have some decent screenshots to post rather than have a poorly working AND poor looking game. I think had I started with the last idea I could have completed something worthwhile.

    Funny that the first serious entry was too content heavy/artistically challenging and this my second serious entry was too technically challenging, one extreme to the other. Although I only fell into that trap because I liked the idea too much, blinded by desire (it’s a long standing idea I’ve wanted to do for a while). I think scrapping it was the best thing I could have done, but I should have done it a lot earlier.

    Still I have to wonder whether I am just slow at coding and just too much of a perfectionist with the quality and structure of the code,perhaps a little OCD there.  However every failure brings a little enlightenment (I avoided most of the pitfalls from the first attempt).Also I had a hard time coming up with an idea for this that wouldn’t be technically challenging without being only superficially related to the theme as my final idea would be.

    procedural ant nest generator results:

    procedurally generated ant nests

    more screenshots of progress:

    first in game map renderers:

    rendered map another

    first sprites:

    character sprites first tile set iteration

    first rendered map:

    first tileset rendered map

    character’s added, tileset cleaned up slightly and tile randomisation tweaked:

    characters in game

    final tileset:

    final tileset

    final:

    final

    5 Responses to “Another LD another failure”

    1. robolee says:

      All the graphics stuff was done in the last 2 1/2 hours to put into perspective how little time I had to turn it into something playable. The scrapped stuff isn’t even showable which is the worst part, although I did get a lot of engine work/features done on it.

    2. Oh crap, I would totally play a serious ant simulation with a goal.

      Remember Maxis Ant?

    3. madflame991 says:

      Procedural generated content is a win from my perspective – and yes, it takes some time to tweak the generators…

    4. kirill says:

      Kudos for the procedural content.

    5. marudziik says:

      You should finish your idea anyway, I’d really like to check it out. Having similar problems (code architecture), I may only say: when coding during LD, remember that the quality of code shouldn’t be a priority. I wasted almost a day during this LD on *thinking* how to do a perfect object hierarchy, and it was a waste of time.
      Procedurally generated content FTW!

    Leave a Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.


    All posts, images, and comments are owned by their creators.

    [cache: storing page]