No way I’m getting this done in time. Spent too long on the background under-the-hood code. Possibly because that’s the part of coding I personally always have the most fun. Probably why I’m on the Platform team at work, we make the system and make it work. Let the Application team worry about the best shade of Cornflower Blue
On the bright side my design turned out rather modular and flexible, and I am definitely going to create something properly using a more refined variation on this design at a later date (and the lack of time limit will let me use proper TDD and the like). I’d try and push for the Jam but tomorrow I have plans unfortunately.
If I take part in the next LD, I’ve learnt a lot here and had fun, even if I have nothing to demo by the end of it but a sprite moving around the screen, even if it is a reasonably well coded sprite, with an Entity-Component system and Endpoint -> Service -> Data architecture rolled out entirely in these two days. I learnt from my mistakes and will hopefully have more to show in the future.
Major respect for the other LDers who actually get something done without getting lost in background implementation details, as I did.
If I could do it again, I’d pick a pre-existing “engine” (hate that term) instead of writing my own. I just can’t write fast and hackish code without feeling unclean, but for rolling things yourself I’m not experienced enough to do anything but in the timeframe. I fought against that, and it took me too long.
Also I’d impose a much stricter “sprint” system, planning out from the start goals on an hour-by-hour basis (using hourly iterations) with a set of things that needed doing I could pull from. I tried this by the end, where I started to pick up the pace, but it was too little too late.
Code by the end is on github for the curious. https://github.com/MorleyDev/ld24Evolution
tl;dr – I failed hard, but had a blast doing so.