Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: ??? (Suggest a Theme)
  • Ludum Dare 30 Begins: in 30 days, 13 hours, 0 minutes, 25 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals (coming soon) | MiniLD #53 ]

My First Game

Posted by
    July 18th, 2012 7:37 am

Hello everyone :)

I recently joined the world of game making. I created my fist mini-game in Processing. It’s very simple: http://www.ballrunner.hostzi.com/

Please tell me what you think of it!

Muha Saresa

Tags:

9 Responses to “My First Game”

1. Zanzlanz says:

Well you should add graphics and sound for a start.
      Then you might want to think about adding some sort of variation so the player has something to look forward to. Maybe the blocks start traveling left and right a little.
      Cool ideas for improvement is that the blocks could change texture to the beat. How about power-ups? There could be a simple power-up that acts as a reverse magnet (pushes the blocks away) or one that slows the game down a little. Or maybe even on of those invincible powerups.
      Also, you could have lives. They might be represented as rings around your player. When a block hits you, the block explodes and one of your rings evaporates. Then, maybe every 1,000 points, there’ll be a life power-up :)
      Hope you take the inspiration ;D
      3844. :)

2. Natanijel says:

Very Good ideas :D

I really like the magnet idea. Maybe some sort of shooting power-up as well.

I already composed some music on my keyboard, but am struggling to get it onto my computer.

For the graphics, it thought it would be good if the ball was a crazy motorcyclist going against car traffic (and driving in the wrong direction).

Muha Saresa (Capacitors Unite!)

3. davidllanos22 says:

I made 4330! :D It’s a nice start, keep working! :)

4. KevinWorkman says:

Cool start. I offer free hosting for Processing games at http://StaticVoidGames.com if you’re interested!

5. Pyro says:

Nice Game.
      I think it’s a great idea for a first game.
      I got around 3700 points. Keep on working!

6. Natanijel says:

Thanks :D And BTW there is a serious bug: after 1000 blocks pass, they stop appearing! I MUST fix that.

7. Zanzlanz says:

Keep us updated :D
      Good luck :)

8. debarraGaming says:

Not a bad game for your first. Like others say it would be better with more stuff like power-ups and sound. Also, you are using the picture’s top left corner for collision detection. It would be more accurate if you used the center point. But still good game! :D

9. chambers says:

I think it’s great for a first game. I use processing too!

I had fun while playing it, I found the difficulty curve was good except for the very first moments (when the first squares are still showing up) which felt too slow. Perhaps the game should start off with a higher falling speed for the blocks.

I had no problems with the hitbox, so apparently you’ve already fixed what debarraGaming said, because it was working perfectly for me (and it’s quite a forgiving hitbox too, I like it)

The game slows down after playing it for a while. If you can post the code here I can see what can be done to help that performance problem (though I’m also a beginner in programming)

3017 in my first attempt =P