Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: ??? (Suggest a Theme)
  • Ludum Dare 30 Begins: in 23 days, 7 hours, 45 minutes, 54 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals (coming soon) | MiniLD #53 ]

MiniLD #35 – Dare

Posted by (twitter: @Cellusious)
    June 5th, 2012 1:10 pm

MinLD 35 – Dare

16th – 18th / Your timezone / Make a unique game in some form.

Dare to be unique, original and do something new…[rpg+puzzle/rts+music/arcade+fps/fighting+vehicles/rpg+rpg/music+sandbox]?

Dare to use a wacky, original, strange or low/high-res art style…[2Colors/rainbows/oldsystem/geometricshapes/dithering/hand drawn]?

Dare to make a crazy, stolen, interesting game mechanic… [gravity lift+cogs/TransferingEnergy/FictionalPhysics/Pet+evil/clothing]

Dare to disregard rules, come up with some new concepts,  and make a awesome game. :)

Rules; Normal LD rules but a bit more relaxed, teams allowed, you can use premade stuff. It’s for the journey not for the goal.

[ Submit | View All ]

Resources; Free Pixel Art - https://twitter.com/#!/CellusiousCorp - http://opengameart.org/

Music - http://freemusicarchive.org/

Cheers!

- Olav (@Cellusious)

104 Responses to “MiniLD #35 – Dare”

1. MadGnomeGamer says:

YAYYYYYYYYYY!

Finally a challenge that reflects my personal game design philosophy! :)

I am doing this if I have to sell my own mother.

2. TinyHat says:

I’ll be participating with a friend of mine for sure! Expect some wild html5 innovation! ;)

3. Nilmrots says:

Looks nice. I will be participating.
      This will be my first time using Java for a Ludum Dare event.
      I am hoping to do some sort of strategy-adventure game.

4. Killswitch says:

Well, it’s about innovation, isn’t it? Well, maybe I’ll join. :)

5. Chaoseed says:

Oh, yeah. “Unique”? NOW we’re getting somewhere.

I feel like some music is appropriate here.

6. NeiloGD says:

Now I need to think of an idea! Nice theme :D

7. kddekadenz says:

I’m feel like doing this now.
      Do you mind if I do submit it tomorrow?
      Note: If I do make the game or not, does not depend on your reply ;)

8. Madball says:

I had an awesome idea for a while, and this LD is the best time to implement it! So I’m in!

9. 7Soul says:

“rpg+rpg”
      What?

10. tcstyle says:

Great stuff. Totally suits my gamedev philospohy.
      Will try something with haxenme for the first time.

11. ElzingaT says:

I’ll be participating. No idea on what I’ll be doing yet but I’ll be developing in Unity3D. I’ll be releasing an executable version for sure but I’d like to set a personal goal for myself to release a port on the Google Play store for Android devices during the time frame as well.

12. onefineline says:

sounds cool

13. MattySVN says:

Sorry i am a bit of a newbie but what is MiniLD?

14. howieV (binarygirl) says:

sounds like my kind of thing …good idea man :)

15. davidllanos22 says:

Since you post this I was thinking about what could I do and finally I’ve got something! I will only say…clothing. I will try to do it as a normal LD with 48h limit! Good luck everyone!

16. qubodup says:

twitter.com/#!/CellusiousCorp has nice art but it’s virtually useless without author and license information. It might as well all be sonic sprite rips.

For more art assets with proper licensing info see http://freegamedev.net/wiki/Art_asset_resources

• Cell says:

It’s Licensed, under the CC Zero.
        the author is *EVERYBODY*, but it’s made by me. i don’t want credit for it.
        look at it as charity. :)

- Cell

17. S0larCode says:

This could be the perfect time to make my first game on Java! I already have an idea!

18. Puzzlem00n says:

YES. This is the theme I’ve been waiting for. I have to do this. And this time, it’s going to be what I’ve wanted to make all along.

I shall now go off and figure out what that is.

19. Vancold says:

First time i’ll do this. No timelimit. i like that. Got a really nice idea.

I don’t think it’s a new “game” itself but i wanted to do the game for so long, and this is a good theme =)

Hope you’ll like it.

(it’s written in Java btw)

20. Rabbits... says:

This is perhaps the best ludum dare idea yet! I’m exited to go and gonna have fun.

Thank you Cell, you have really captured the Ludum Dare spirit! (I call Mars Moose, the defense platformer sandbox game)…

21. nikev says:

This will be my first ludum dare event =) Great theme

22. [...] be submitted no later than 11:59pm (EST) on the 17th of June. MiniLD #35 – Dare to be Unique http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2012/06/05/minild-35-dare// 16th – 18th / Your timezone / Make a unique game in some form. Experimental Gameplay Project [...]

23. Kynrael says:

I might enter :)

24. kddekadenz says:

I do have public domain resources on my site, which are ready to use in your games.
      Go here if you are interested: http://kddekadenz.jimdo.com/resources/

25. [...] more relaxed, teams allowed, you can use premade stuff. It’s for the journey not for the goal. Ludum Dare » Blog Archive » MiniLD #35 – Dare MinLD 35 – Dare. 16th – 18th / Your timezone / Make a unique game in some form. Dare to be [...]

26. celsyum says:

ok , thoughts on joining :] team work

27. triplefox says:

Daring to make a test post for djduty

28. jellonator says:

I’ll most likely be joining.

29. CNIAngel says:

I can’t pass up a mini LD! :P I wonder what kind of nonsense I can do in a weekend.

30. yoklov says:

Excited for this, hoping to enter :)

Great theme too.

31. ThatCodingGuy says:

My friends an I are in

32. Gallefray says:

I’ll be taking part. Any theme yet? I’ll have to do a text game, because I haven’t learned how to do graphics yet :P

33. kddekadenz says:

I will have no time to restart my game (computer crashed – corrupted game).
      Is anyone interested in the game design doc, the sounds and the textures? I am will to release them as Public Domain.

34. RyanNielson says:

Me and my friend are in. This’ll be our first LudumDare of any kind so we’re super excited. Hopefully some great games come out of this.

Good luck everyone!

35. norwigi says:

I’m going to be away for the weekend, so I started a little early :-P
      When will the submission close on Monday?

36. djdduty says:

NO! I cannot do it, I will not be home until the…. 18′th, unless I am aloud to submit the game I make on the airplane on the way home.

37. Knivy says:

Hello. I’m new here. This theme looks very interesting. So I think I’m going to try and make my first game. That will be a Ren’Py visual novel. I wish good luck to everybody :)

38. I completely forgot about this until about an hour ago!! So yeah, I’m a little late to the party on this one, which is a shame because it’s the first compo I’m actually taking part in. Because of that, I’m not entirely sure whether I’ll finish or not, and I’m not going to submit a game that I’m not happy with, so it’s all or nothing for me here.

Having said that, it’s not all bad news. In the last hour I have started work on my main engine and now have basic tile rendering working, supporting rectangular tiles of any dimensions. There is only one major bug that I have found so far with it, that being to do with locking the scroll at the edges of the map, but I’m sure that’s just to do with the fact it’s 1:40am here, and my brain isn’t the best at maths this early in the morning.

I also had a pretty poor night’s sleep last night, with an early start this morning, so I’m going to head off and catch some rest now, but I’ll probably end up sleeping for most of tomorrow :( This compo isn’t looking the most promising for me right now, but you never know, I might manage to pull something out of the bag.

Oh, and I still haven’t got a clue about what the gameplay is actually going to be like yet. I was just sat trying to think of what to do, and was getting paranoid about the wasted time, so thought it would be better to get to work on a fairly flexible engine in the mean time, whilst I thought up some ideas for what you’d actually do in the game. Needless to say, this didn’t work, so I’m hoping for some creative dreams tonight ready for tomorrow’s game of catch-up :)

39. jellonator says:

Such a nice day to be programming!
      ….where do I start, I wonder? .-.

40. [...] month's mini +Ludum Dare game jam starts today! Enjoy 48 hours of gamedev fun and frolic athttp://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2012/06/05/minild-35-dare/ Ludum Dare » Blog Archive » MiniLD #35 – Dare MinLD 35 – Dare. 16th – 18th / Your [...]

41. TheH says:

Well, I may have a late start, but I do believe I want to join in on the fun, I’ve got a small game idea I want to do up.

Quick question, is it alright if I post a link to my stream that I’ll have up while I work?
      if so, then you can find my stream here: http://www.livestream.com/the_buss_stop?t=729308

Anyways, good luck to everyone, I hope to see some pretty neat games!

42. someone9999 says:

I’m in. I’m only going to have about 8 hours of time to work on the game due to real life. Wonder where that will get me.

43. Kalabasa says:

When will you close this? I missed last weekend and maybe I could do this on the next weekend?

44. Zanzlanz says:

Thank you Cell! You’re the best! This is my first game I’ve ever made for a competition! So far so good!

45. tcstyle says:

Aaah. I totally missed that weekend. Nevertheless I will make a game in < 48 hrs jam time for that theme as I have such a great idea. Maybe the sumbmission page is still open when I'm finished.

• Gallefray says:

Good luck :)

• tcstyle says:

Totally failed. i didn’t manage to overcome some programming issues I had with haxenme, so no real progress on my entry to be honest. Nevertheless the idea felt quite great: The Falling Down RPG. Narrow screen resolution, the player character falls down an (almost) endless shaft fighting and looting monsters while falling. (Eventually hits the ground at the end)