Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: ??? (Suggest a Theme)
  • Ludum Dare 30 Begins: in 21 days, 21 hours, 14 minutes, 41 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | MiniLD #53 ]

MiniLD #34 – Aspect

Posted by (twitter: @S0phieH)
    May 9th, 2012 10:26 am

MiniLD #34 is OVER!

> 69 entries total, check them out HERE <

Great job everybody! :D

Original post:

Yay, I’m hosting a mini LD again! did you miss me? :D

• Date: Weekend of 26th-27th 19th-20th!
    • Theme: Unimportant!
    • Rules: your game must be one of the following resolutions!
    1. 18 x 64
    2. 128 x 128
    3. 1024 x 128
    4. 4096 x 4096
    5. a circle, 500px diameter
    6. 8 x 8 x 8

It will be non-competitive (so no voting on entries), as such feel free to disregard theme or rules as you see fit and just do whatever you think would be fun :) oh, and for the resolutions, feel free to do ’64 x 18′ instead of ’18 x 64′ if you fancy, or mix them up any way you like, basically just stay away from conventional game shapes! :D So that’s that, make sure to appear! oh, and even though there’s no competition, you can’t win unless you make a game with fishing in it of course! :D EDIT: DATE CHANGED, SEE ABOVE! Darkhog had already claimed the 27th, so make sure to check that out! :D

112 Responses to “MiniLD #34 – Aspect”

1. Cell says:

Woo, Woo, Woo, Woo!

getting ready for some steamy low res action! :D

2. LegacyCrono says:

Calling dibs for fishing simulator on 4096 x 4096 resolution :D

3. Pierrec says:

I’m using AGS, so I cant really make a game with this kind of weird resolution. Is it ok if this resolution is surronded by black in a 640×800 window for exemple ?

4. Eelfroth says:

To give you a more visual impression of how ridiculous/awesome these resolutions are, I drew all of them into an extremely compressed jpeg: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/?attachment_id=144409

5. CNIAngel says:

this is gonna be fun :D i think i’ll do 18×64 lol

6. seagaia says:

With 8x8x8 can we have it zoomed in (but use the same nr. of game-space pixels)? o_o

7. Attrition says:

I think I’m in for 8x8x8.

8. madflame991 says:

I suppose it can also be a circle of any diameter

9. You lot are going to see a 128×128 shmup made using Construct 2. I promise you that! :D

10. MadGnomeGamer says:

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

THIS time most of the entries will be PLAYABLE on my laptop! Except for those poo’ers who go for 4096×4096 of course… :P Seriously, who on EARTH has that kind of screen capability?!

Still participating in the judging and trying to finish my main project before the deadline I set for myself, but I think I’ll join in this one too.

11. Gjarble says:

Hmm… as long as doing ANYTHING funky with resolution is fair game… There’s a really tall Flash game (200 x 2880) called “Vanilla” ( http://www.eyezmaze.com/eyezblog_en/blog/2004/04/vanilla_ver0.html ), where the goal is to grow a plant without tipping it over by quickly clicking each of its segments in sequence. This is made more challenging by the fact that the player is essentially forced to scroll up and down the webpage containing the .swf as they play. By they way, MadGnomeGamer, I assume that this is the intent of the 4096×4096 people. I doubt anyone has a screen that huge.

I’d be interested in smashing that (what I assume is a) height record for a browser-based game, if only I can figure out a way to make the entire height of the Flash window as meaningful as Vanilla does.

12. Pixel_Phased says:

I sense a sniper game from that circle. I’m doing 18×64 for sure. probably no words will be used.

13. NeiloGD says:

19th-20th!? :-/ That’s the GSL finals. Oh well. Cancelling going to that. MiniLD takes all!

14. johnfn says:

The lack of voting on miniLDs always makes me feel a little sad. I’m not so much concerned about the competitive aspect. I just like seeing how well I did overall compared to previous competitions, and how much I improved.

15. Puzzlem00n says:

I’m definitely gonna try and do this! I’m either going with 1024 x 128 or 4096 x 4096, probably the first. BRING IT ON!!!

16. Actually, I’m thinking of doing the tiny resolution thing for the 8hLD thing, too… :)

17. onefineline says:

wooooa, this theme is so psycho that I have to do it! I love it!

18. Neonlare says:

This looks damn crazy, consider me in!

19. Madball says:

I’m in! And I’m going to follow the theme! I mean, the theme. Yes, that one. And I’m for 1024 x 128. I think I’ll make an 1D game.

20. davidllanos22 says:

I’m in! I’ll do 128×128 or if I find a great idea to use the others resolutions I will consider to change it ! :D

21. danlthemanl says:

Ludum dare events are always on a weekend where I have else something happening. Arg! Why must this always happen!

22. uuav says:

I’ll not be available this week end I allready started something :| http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17877563/applet/index.html

23. Dracir says:

After a fun ludum dare, this is minild is awesome to try making game with some friends.
      Love the restriction. I already have some ideas … Maybe the player will be able to choose the resolution :).

24. [...] Mini-LD 34 takes place May 19th-20th, and has no theme. Instead, your task is to make a game in one of six funky resolutions: 18×64, 128×128, 1024×128, 4096×4096, a circle 500px in diameter, or 8x8x8. [...]

25. MadGnomeGamer says:

What the hell is that 8x8x8 thing?! And who on EARTH would have one of those?!

• digital_sorceress says:

It’s a 3 dimensional array of LEDs, and I’m not sure you can buy them. I expect the owner custom made it.

Think of it like an other art sculpture. Except that this one is programmable.

26. Darkhogg says:

I *REALLY* thought for a moment I did something I couldn’t remember.

27. Keirua says:

Not sure I’ll have some time to work on it, but I’ll go for the 8x8x8.

28. I’ll do something in 128×128, It will be about some pixel war.

29. MurrayL says:

Given the non-competitive nature, are small teams allowed ala LD48 Jam?

30. Taugeshtu says:

888s are totally cool, I’ll find some time, definitely!

31. ChubbyBalboa says:

Going to enter with 8x8x8.

32. Nolan C says:

Nice theme, I might be in. Sounds like a great time.

33. Suese says:

I like 18×64, but 4096×4096? There’s no special challenge there other than making a game for a monitor most people don’t have.
      128×128 is okay, but 64×64 would be better.

Circle 500px wide should be more like Circle 128px wide

8x8x8 is cool, I would love to see a local jam dedicated to this concept.

34. The Jahn says:

I’m in! 64×18 will be a fun resolution to work with.

Then again, so would a circle. I’ve wanted to toy around with polar coordinates more. Hmmm…

35. onehandclap says:

Is it still mandatory to start & complete the game during the weekend?
      In 48 hours, I mean, just like in the regular LD compo. Forgive me, but I’m a total noob here. =)

36. davidllanos22 says:

So the theme is Aspect or Unimportant? :S

37. Shadow says:

128×128 is too mainstream. Old feature phones had that resolution. I made an RPG on those screens, in fact.

38. madflame991 says:

Why is the Submit option available? We’re nowhere close to the weekend of 19-20th…

• because, it’s a mini and you can make the game ahead of the weekend if you like, no point having to wait till the weekend to submit :)

and besides, I wouldn’t say we’re ‘nowhere close’, it’s this weekend after all :P

39. Mulack123 says:

Hey guys im new to ludumdare so im just wondering what does the photo have to be in the regestration????

40. jarnik says:

Definitely gonna join in, even if for just a few hours. And to cross the rules a bit, it’ll be probably a team effort.
      Also, I’d like to aim for 1024×128.

41. vilya says:

I absolutely love this theme! Wish I had time to take part this weekend…

42. Rabbits... says:

how is it possible to do a 4096×4096 resolution game? do you just put the pixels really close together…If so how? right now my tests are way too big for my screen…

43. NeoTalon says:

Why 18? Using 16px would make it a lot easier, now we are going to have to use some obscure dimensions for tiles.

44. Tomalla says:

Starting before the start of the MiniLD is fine. How are the things with finishing one’s game after the deadline? Is it fine as well?

45. Starmen says:

We are definitely in. Quick question though, is the theme actually “unimportant” or are you saying that the theme is unimportant. We are assuming the former and are planning for that but I’m just curious.

46. unicornpooping says:

Already submitted! Hope you all enjoy!

47. MadGnomeGamer says:

I’ve got my idea all planned!