Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: ??? (Suggest a Theme)
  • Ludum Dare 30 Begins: in 25 days, 4 hours, 30 minutes, 34 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals (coming soon) | MiniLD #53 ]

Helping people get a rateable entry, is it breaking the rules?

Posted by (twitter: @kvisle)
    April 27th, 2012 3:47 pm

I did something that I’m not sure is within the rules or not, but I want to be honest about it..

One of the entries I’ve rated was in a almost unrateable state. It did not provide any binaries, and it had 3 gamebreaking crashbugs.

I fixed the bugs, created a windows makefile, built a windows version of the game, put it on dropbox and commented what I’ve done and where to find the Windows build.

However;

The rules of the Ludum Dare compo clearly states that it’s a solo competition, but what I’ve done are also a part of the exceptions -> You can port to other platforms, and you can fix severe bugs outside of the 48 hour limit. Is it OK if this is done by a different person — just to make sure that the user at least get SOME feedback on his entry, for educational purposes at least?

I’m not trying to cheat for anyone, I have no relation with the person who created the entry — I’m just trying to be a helpful member of the community.

The entry in question is to be found here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=11162

EDIT By PoV

12 Responses to “Helping people get a rateable entry, is it breaking the rules?”

1. R3ason says:

Well, I’m no expert on LD rules, but I think this was awesome! To me, LD is a community event, and all about bringing new ideas and new games to light. You know, the sort of place where honest, yet constructive feedback is given in order to encourage game devs and would-be game devs. So, with this in mind, I think you did just this. You didn’t replace the main link for the game itself; just provided a separate one. I think it’s great that you helped out someone else in order to encourage others to provide feedback on the game. Hat is off to you.

• PoV says:

Yes. Listen to R3ason (Sorry, I couldn’t resist the pun). This is definitely awesome of you, and like he said, we are totally for anything that’s good for the community.

2. saint11 says:

Well, that was almost like porting the game, and porting the game can be done after the 48 hours :D I think what you did was awesome u_u

3. chambers says:

I think this was a great deed. As R3ason stated, there is little point on taking part of ludum dare if you can’t receive feedback from the community.

4. pythong says:

it’s always a good thing to be there for the community ;)

5. Canard Sauvage says:

It’s always a great thing to help people, even in a contest. He tried his best and created a game in 48h and put a lot of effort into this. Each game deserves to be played, so I personally always appreciate to help others getting their game playable on various platforms. Thumbs up!

6. dx0ne says:

community > rules

7. bms says:

LOL epic meme from PoV xD

8. Suese says:

Yeah, it’s not like a broken entry is going to be stealing a top 5 anyway.