Ludum Dare 31 — Coming December 5th-8th 2014! — Join the Mailing List!
  • October Ends: in 30 days, 7 hours, 51 minutes, 25 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 31 begins: in 65 days, 8 hours, 39 minutes, 25 seconds
  • (FYI: Clock might be off) | Ludum Dare 31: Real World Gatherings (Now Open!) | October Challenge 2014!

Postmortem TOOLS Survey

Posted by (twitter: @McFunkypants)
    April 26th, 2012 8:51 am

We love stats! We love you!

Everyone interested in helping us determine what tools you used (language, engine, etc.) please fill out this very short survey. We also have a more in-depth survey, with demographic questions, created for a thesis, here.

Tags: ,

18 Responses to “Postmortem TOOLS Survey”

1. 7Soul says:

Both links are the same, is that right?

2. steamgirl says:

Hmmm, I don’t think that’s right, the second link should be: http://moniek-leseman.nl/ld-pre/index.php?sid=55737

A quick comment on the second survey (not sure how to contact the survey creator, but the survey didn’t have “leave comments” box at the end…)… I honestly wish you would’ve included both/neither in the options, because at least 30% of those I didn’t have a preference. I study equally well alone as in a group, and in any case, it depends on the type of assignment. I wouldn’t study for an academic essay in a group because it’s supposed to be done individually, for example. I don’t particularly like being pigeonholed into intro/extrovert, practical/theoretical kind of dichotomies, tbh, but maybe that’s just the sociologist in me.

3. Cosmologicon says:

The first 50 questions of the second survey seemed to be asking the same 3 questions over and over in different ways. I don’t know if this is some standard personality assessment, but I’d be interested to see some sort of factor analysis to see how many things you were really measuring. Something to think about for your thesis, anyway!

4. SusanTheCat says:

I gave up after thirty questions because they were mostly school focused (I haven’t done homework in 20 years) or what I would actually do wasn’t there. (I wouldn’t speak in a study group, but I also wouldn’t sit back and listen. I would be doing my work.)

Susan

5. digital_sorceress says:

personal learning style… visual, verbal, etc

In the real world, people don’t fit into neat little boxes like this.

Visual can be preferred in some situations, some of the time. As can verbal and any of them. It is most natural for us to use these styles synergistically. If we were restricted to just one of them, I expect we would all feel suffocated.

6. jeroenimooo says:

Does the longer surcey have something to do with the way people function and remeber stuff, as in people wo remeber the sound. the image, or text. I have dyslexia and i have been told so many things about that.

7. Darien says:

Question 47 is very odd. The only choices are “somewhat helpful” and “very helpful?” Where’s the “huge waste of time” choice?

8. McFunkypants says:

Thanks for pointing out my copy-n-paste mistake in the 2nd url, Steamgirl! Fixed.

9. uberneen says:

The questions rarely had an appropriate answer for me. I ended up trying to choose the best of the two and often that wasn’t remotely close to the truth of the matter.

I answered as accurately as possible, but it is safe to say that you can’t trust the data I submitted for anything but novelty purposes.

10. Raptor85 says:

The answers on a lot of these don’t make sense to me, in a lot of them both say the same thing, a lot of the ones like 19, 22, 27,31,34,35..etc I had to just randomly pick one because both choices I disliked equallly

35 is particularly bad as it states right in the choices that one of them would have you “miss” the big picture while the other you would figure out both.

As the questions are worded you’re unlikely to get good data out of this. A lof of the questions are like asking “what is your preferred method of cross-country travel for distances over 1000mi” and being given the options “take a boat” or “walk”, you’re obvoiusly going to end up with a survey where most people like taking boats across country. Some the options are more like “walk” and “jog” where there’s really no difference and neither of them fit.

11. AD-Edge says:

I filled out the short survey.

Attempted the larger one too. But I also found that most questions were way too similar to others, and after a while this seemed to repeat too many times.
      The main factor for me not completeing the larger quiz however was the amount of questions I couldnt answer simply on principle, the thing I cant stand about some surveys is when they ask a question, to which the reply could very strongly be either answer, depending on the situation (which of course is not given) So I couldnt bring myself to complete it, because it felt too innacurate overall – sorry! :(

12. dansludumdare says:

The questions are supposed to force you to choose an answer. That’s why the same question is worded differently multiple times. It’s effectively you answering “on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being detail oriented, and 10 be big-picture oriented, what are you?” but hopefully more accurate because you’re forced to answer specific questions about yourself (as best you can) instead of choosing a hard-to-make-meaningful number. How many times have you said you’re 99% sure about something? I assure you that number was wrong. Do an experiment, see how many times you are right/wrong about something you were 99% sure about. Not to mention people are biased when describing themselves. You might think big-picture thinkers are better, and that you are good, and therefore rate yourself higher on the big-picture thinking scale. If you are asked specific yes/no questions, the answer is much more concrete than something as abstract as a number, so it’s harder for bias to happen.

I’m not the survey guy by the way, just a bystander.

• steamgirl says:

I think the main problem is with questions like “Have you stopped beating your wife?” and forcing a yes/no answer. If you never beat your wife in the first place, how do you answer that? Any survey that doesn’t allow some kind of “out” it fundamentally flawed. Even simple questions like “What is your gender?” are problematic when you don’t allow anything beyond “male/female”. What colour hair do you have? (blonde/brown). What do you answer if you have red, black, or pink hair?

Yes, it is much easier to force a statistically significant result when you force people into dichotomies. Unfortunately this also makes the findings of the research less reliable. “60% of men have stopped beating their wife, 40% are still doing it.” Would this not be a flawed outcome if only 1% of the study group beat their wife in the first place?

13. Almost all the personality questions were about visual versus literal, though having more questions means that you can get a better picture of visual or literal someone is.

The two choice answers are tough for me, because many times I’d like to answer with both. This is either because both apply to me, or it depends on the situation.

Also, I had to guess when it came to stuff like classes, group education and all that. I’ve been homeschooled for years now.

Nevertheless, it seems like an interesting survey, and I filled out the whole thing.

14. MadGnomeGamer says:

An interesting questionnare!

I filled out the whole thing.

I am not a fan of multiple-choice surveys myself (I loathe being made to conform, even if only as a statistic), but I figured I’d fill it out just for fun.

I kinda enjoyed it, actually.

15. Man Breast Reduction…

[...]Ludum Dare » Blog Archive » Postmortem TOOLS Survey[...]…