Here is the post mortem for $ales, my real world trading simulation game. Check it out here.
What went well:
- Discipline, the first day I woke up at 5 AM, specifically for Ludum Dare. Normally I never do this.
- I had a solid idea very quickly, even though I didn’t really like the theme at that theme.
- I knew my software, GameMaker, really well. I had no problem solving any problem at all.
- I quickly created my art, even though there was not a lot of art involved.
- I didn’t get distracted by the IRC, I just regularly checked it.
- The voice acting, it was my first time ever doing something with voice acting in a game, and I think it turned out pretty well.
What could have gone better:
- I should have coded the economy system better, so that it can be randomized, now everything is pretty much hard-coded.
- The trading menu looks a bit boring, but I didn’t know how to fix that.
- I should have come up with a better technical system to show the world map. Right now I was limited in my sprite size due to the size of the world map.
I think it was one of my better Ludum Dares. Definitely better than the last one. I am looking forward to LD24!