Just wanted to say, we had a total blast making “Ant Command” for the Jam. Really cool to see all these entries. I’m blown away by what people can create in a couple days.
We’re convinced this is probably the best way to prototype games for iOS or whatever – just such a cool way to stay focused. We spent maybe 2 hours picking the game, and jumped right into development after a reeallly short design phase on Friday night.
We’re calling this a big success story, although in the end, we only had an hour or so left to mess with the gameplay after it all came together. We’re pretty thrilled with the result, and I’m sure we’ll be taking this game to the next level.
A little more Postmortem’y thought:
What went wrong:
- Stressed out our wives a bit Next time we’ll probably make some plans to have some activities for the kids or something.
What went right:
- Unity – holy crap, they make it easy. We were able to figure out stuff we’d never done before in the engine in a matter of minutes (music, some basic UI, rigid body physics…)
- Taking Sunday off! Ok, we did a little bit on Sunday (Forest wrote some music and I was fixing a source control problem.) but for the most part, we relaxed and just did game design in our heads. When Monday morning rolled around we were ready to rock.