Ludum Dare 29 — April 25th-28th Weekend [9 PM EST] — Theme: ??? (Theme Voting!)
  • Ludum Dare 29 Compo (48 Hour+Solo+Scratch+Src) Begins: in 16 hours, 42 minutes, 8 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 29 Jam (72 Hour+Teams OK+Relaxed) Begins: in 16 hours, 42 minutes, 9 seconds
  • [ MiniLD 50 | Warmup Weekend | Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | Wallpaper ]

Welcome to Ludum Dare 23! 10 Years of LD!

Posted by (twitter: @mikekasprzak)
    April 19th, 2012 12:43 pm

Wow!

Final round theme voting is on done. This is your last chance to help decide what theme we will all be creating our games based on. If you haven’t already, go vote for your favorite themes now! Prior round results can be found here.

[ THEME VOTING RESULTS ]

We will be announcing the theme FIRST on both IRC and Twitter. irc.afternet.org in the #ludumdare channel, or twitter.com/ludumdare. Also, as an experiment, we will be posting it to Reddit as well. Keep an eye out for a post by povrazor, that’s me. Also, be sure to check out the Ludum Dare section of Reddit at /r/ludumdare.

We have a huge list of real-world jams going on alongside Ludum Dare 23. You can check out the list here. In addition, many people are live streaming the development of their games. Check those out over here.

In addition, Unity gave us a big stack of Unity Pro keys to share, good for 3 months! More details can be found here. A big thanks goes out to them for that.

PlayTomic is offering 500 codes for their PREMIUM analytics service, and your premium service is good for ALL OF 2012! More details can be found here.

Ansca is offering a FREE 2 Month Corona SDK Pro license, and it’s a Commercial license too (sell iOS/Android games)! More details can be found here.

BrashMoney, the folks behind Spriter, have released a brand new Beta version of Spriter just in time for Ludum Dare. Grab it here. Spriter is a 2D component based/skeletal animation editor built by some fellow game industry veterans. If you’re like me, you’ve either always wanted, or started but never finished your own 2D component animator. It’s something that should exist, but for whatever reason dosen’t (Flash and ToonBoom do this, but don’t generate minimal assets). They’re seeking funding on Kickstarter, so help them out if you can.

Enough chatter. On with the festivities!

Interactive Keynote!

Headlining the big 10 year event is the original Flash Punk himself, Chevy Ray Johnston! He went all out for us this year, creating the very first INTERACTIVE KEYNOTE!

Click below to check it out! Flash is required to watch and play!

Click Click Click Click!

Interactive Keynote, with Chevy Ray! Requires Flash for the Full/Best Experience

Last time we had a record 891 entries. A great way to celebrate our 10th year would be to make over 1000! Lets make it happen!

That’s all for now. Good luck, and may the best theme win.

Tags:

62 Responses to “Welcome to Ludum Dare 23! 10 Years of LD!”

1. johnfn says:

That keynote is possibly the best thing ever. Amazing work!!

2. GameNacho says:

Awesome!

3. jarnik says:

Showing a simple “idea>prototype>polished game” process was a great idea! Love the interactivity!

4. Andrew says:

The keynote is so sweet! It gives me some great thoughts on how I’ll be making my game. Good luck to all the entrants.

5. Danvil says:

The keynote ist excellent!

6. Puzzlem00n says:

Nice keynote! Makes me realize how much I appreciate a good polish.

P.S. I like the way the sprite bounces in the platformer. It made even the square look lively. I’ll have to remember that technique.

7. TBros says:

livestream link just goes to an image?

8. Per says:

Extremely nice!

Thank you for doing this!

9. [...] This weekend marks a very special occasion as it will be the 10th anniversary of the 48 hour game development event Ludum Dare. To help get us excited about it, Chevy Ray has prepared a rather awesome keynote. [...]

10. shawn42 says:

Best. Keynote. Ever.

11. Gemberkoekje says:

Be aware that the top 5 of the preliminaries were:
      Artificial Life,
      Build It, Then Use It,
      Tiny World,
      Alchemy and
      Discovery.
      If you want to make a difference for the finals, make sure you consider your vote carefully!

12. Gemberkoekje says:

In addition, the 5 most hated themes were:
      Let It All Out,
      Hesitation,
      Fractals,
      Reinventing The Wheel and the absolute worst was
      Long-Term.
      I guess 48 hours isn’t good enough for a Long-Term investment!

13. SonnyBone says:

Great job on this. Seriously. Informative, entertaining, INTERRRAACCCCTTIIIIIVE !!!

14. MrPhil says:

That was Double Rambo Awesome! http://i.imgur.com/Bv8Ci.jpg

I’m going to review that code tonight and leverage it for the LD.

Thanks Chevy! You are The Man!

15. SLiV says:

Awesomeness!

Great job, guys.

16. Nick Cash says:

Awesome keynote is awesome.

17. PIXEL^3 says:

I’m using flashpunk for this game jam. :3

18. Great keynote! Looking forward to this one.

19. That was awesome, ChevyRay!

It’s always nice to see a guru like you put his skills to work. :D

20. [...] Hello and welcome everyone to Ludum Dare 23, celebrating our 10th year of the event! – [PoV's blog post] [...]

21. Killswitch says:

I love the keynote! Let’s break a leg, Jammers! Don’t take it literally. :P

22. MoltenMustafa says:

Wow that was a seriously awesome Keynote. Totally wasn’t expecting it to be that awesome.

23. jfroco says:

The keynote is soo great that we all should make our games in Flash Punk. Thank you Chevy Ray Johnston!

24. NeiloGD says:

Nice work with the keynote! Was nice to see something interactive :) Did you make it all inside of 48 hours? ;-)

25. Randomasta says:

Woo, this keynote really made me all pumped up! Let’s do this!

26. AD-Edge says:

Cool keynote, took me a second to realize I had to interact with it when it came to the simple box game XD

27. blopit says:

Matt Thorson!??!?!? THE MATT THORSON?!? No way man, he’s like my idol. Aw yeah So pumped now.

28. [...] This weekend marks a very special occasion as it will be the 10th anniversary of the 48 hour game development event Ludum Dare. To help get us excited about it, Chevy Ray has prepared a rather awesome keynote. [...]

29. venkat says:

keynote is aweosme..chevy ray!!

30. [...] Final round voting is up! Vote wisely, because this will determine what we’re stuck with all weekend! http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2012/04/19/welcome-to-ludum-dare-23/ [...]

31. [...] Einladung zum Ludum Dare Game Jam. Der beginnt nämlich dieses [...]

32. mes says:

extra stoked for the daré now!!

33. solokix334 says:

THAT was…. SO AWESOME!!!!!!! I am pumped for LD23 now

34. tayron says:

“..are you ready for…” HELL YES I’M READY!

35. Awesome keynote! The crazy experimental game was the last ‘bit’ right?

36. galman says:

Epic keynote!
      But where is the “I’m in!”?

37. davidwparker says:

Great Keynote! I’m in!

38. Drabiter says:

I’m not using flashpunk or unity, but this post plus the keynote are really motivating!

39. Pierrec says:

Best keynote ever.
      (But what if I want to make a visual novel ^^ ?)

40. Entity2d says:

Awesome keynote! I’ll definitely be using Flashpunk for my game. If a theme I don’t like much wins, I’ll probably end up making something weird.

41. Martoon says:

Best keynote ever. And props to Flashpunk. I’ve done three LDs so far, and used Flashpunk on all of them. I’ll be using it on this one, too.

42. ArchPenguinBot says:

Great keynote! Has anyone tried to compile the code at the end? I keep getting the following error:

Error: unable to resolve ‘../assets/gui/text_box.png’ for transcoding