Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: Connected Worlds
  • Judging Ends: in 17 days, 19 hours, 42 minutes, 45 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | Warmup Weekend (Games) | MiniLD #53 | Wallpaper (1) (2) (3) | Mailing List ]

[ Play+Rate | Edit | View All Games | My Game ]

Some useful music generators

Posted by (twitter: @caranha)
    April 16th, 2012 8:31 am

So, one glaring flaw in my LD22 game is that it had no music whatsoever. This was one thing that I wanted to fix for LD23. The problem is: since I’m not a musician, I have no idea whatsoever about how to use the many tracker tools available in the bar to the right side.

So today I decided to go on a quest for some simple music generators that I could use for my game. The conditions:
    - Must allow me to use the generated music freely (so no wolphram tunes)
    - Must be usable from the web, or runnable under linux/wine
    - Must be easy to use by a total music noob like myself
    - Must allow me to download my work so I can use it in my game

Luckly, in spite of all my rage and conditions, I managed to find some generators that fit the bill.

The first was “Aviary’s Music Creator”. It has a very wide range of sounds, but the sound sample has a very limited size, and you can’t make it larger. I found that if you select some of the percursion, drum or bass sets, and ask for a “random” set of beats, it can create something rather cool, like this.

The second was Otomata. A very cool celular automata based music creator. You create cells on the board, and as they touch the borders, they play sounds. As they touch each other, they change directions. The cool thing about this site is that you can change the board while it is recording your song, which allows for you to add/remove cells to make your song more/less complex with time. Here is a sample I did while meddling with it.

Hope this can be useful to other sound noobs like me. Also, there is this really cool site called inudge, listed among the tools – the nice thing about it is that it lets you use multiple instruments at the same time, in arbitrarily large songs. But for the life of me I can’t figure out how to save the output for a file. Other than pointing my microphone to my sound boxes, can anyone suggest me an easy way to save a song from inudge.net?

14 Responses to “Some useful music generators”

1. AlwaysGeeky says:

Wow thanks for these… really good resource for music noobs.

2. Rybicon says:

These are awesome! Thank you and good luck :)

3. waveon foxdale says:

Awesome tools, thank you very much!

4. Pierrec says:

I discovered Aviary recently too and I thought : Wow! Ludum Dare!
      I’m gonna check the other one.

Also : Andre Michelle has made some pretty music tools like this one : http://lab.andre-michelle.com/crash/ there is no “save” option, but you can record it from audacity.

• Pierrec says:

To answer your question, to record sound from inudge, you could use audacity and a double jack, you plug it in the microphone port and the audio port and Shazam! The sound would be better than using your microphone on soundboxes.

• caranha says:

Hmmmm, connecting the microphone port directly to the sound box port, never thought about that! I will see if I can find an double jack… is it something that you can find on a generic electronics shop, or do you need a specialized audio shop to find that?

Thanks for the hint!

• Pierrec says:

Double jacks are pretty generic wires I think. that’s not only for music.
            Caution : even if using the double jack is a easier method thant recording from micro, you’ll have to configure Audacity right to have a sweet sound (I used some tutorials on the Internet)

• digital_sorceress says:

Wouldn’t that create extreme feedback? I wouldn’t advise it.

• caranha says:

“Most wave editing software allows you to record direct from the combined output channel. Just make sure you use the “microsoft wave mapper” as your output device.”

I tried grepping for microsoft wave mapper, but there was nothing like that on my /dev folder. Advice?

• digital_sorceress says:

Well it obviously only works for windows. The Wave Mapper is a virtual driver, and that seems to cause less problems when you want to capture sound streams. Linux may or may not have an equivalent concept.