So, after I had some time to relax from the latest great Ludum Dare #22 I have the power to do my first postmortem! Yay!
I actually managed to finish a real game in less than 48 hours! Something that I never done before!
I got the idea of the game very easily: ALONE = Lonely People = People who want to meet other people = We have a game!
The idea was that there are lonely people who don’t want to be alone anymore and you have to help them meet each other.
1. Getting the platformer basics to work And the people AI
This part was pretty easy:
- I used flan to create a simple map.
- I programmed a simple algorithm which took an exported flan map and added blocks to the screen according to the exported flan map.
- I programmed a simple people AI which made them walk to the left until they hit a wall and then go to the right and so on…
2. Making the simple tools
At first I had some problems with the tools so I made two types of blocks: airBlock and dirtBlock.
- When the player clicks a dirtBlock and the tool which is selected on the inventory is item “0 – Hammer” the dirtBlock should turn into an airBlock.
- When the player clicks an airBlock and the tool which is selected on the inventory is item “1 – Dirt” the airBlock should turn into a dirtBlock.
3. Making the trampoline and the game over screen
- Added a trampoline which you can place on the map and when a people overlaps it the people is launched into the air.
- Added a game over screen which is activated when someone falls out of the screen.
- Added a little fade in fade out between levels.
4. Making a lot of new levels
Making a lot of levels with some help of my friend idea.
5. Day 2 – Making all the menus and implement Kongregate API
Making the menus was very fun and fast!
I am pretty familiar with the Kongregate API so it was also pretty easy to me to implement it on the game!
== At This Point I Finished The Game ==
I was well prepared to the competition and it helped me a lot. I know flixel and Flash Develop very good and it was fun to make a game with them.
I had some great times on my first LD, I am looking for next LD and I am very proud of myself that I managed to build such a game (I’m fourteen years old).
You Can View And Rate My Game Right Here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22/?action=rate&uid=5971