Home | Rules and Guide | Sign In/Create Account | Write a Post | Reddit | #LD48 | #ludumdare on irc.afternet.org (Info)

Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: Connected Worlds
  • Compo (Solo+Scratch+Src) Ends: in 1 day, 7 hours, 38 minutes, 35 seconds
  • Jam (Solo and Teams+Relaxed) Ends: in 2 days, 7 hours, 38 minutes, 35 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | Warmup Weekend (Games) | MiniLD #53 | Wallpaper (1) (2) (3) | Mailing List ]

    [ Submit/Edit Game | View All Games | My Game ]


    Some progress from before the nap

    Posted by (twitter: @mikekasprzak)
    December 17th, 2011 4:01 pm

    Phew! Some 4-5 hours ago I was tired, too tired to post, so I took a nap.

    Here’s what I had then:

    The Red Collision. The green circle means the other two are touching.

    So as it turns out, the theme was absolutely perfect (and no, I didn’t rig the vote). I’ve been working on a commercial game for the past couple months called “Alone, The“, but it’s big, it’s 3D, and taking a long time. So during Warmup Weekend, I had the wild idea of doing a de-make of the game in HTML5. To be honest, I’ve never seriously worked in JavaScript before, so there was much to learn (and still learn).

    So over a few hours last weekend, I managed to create some simple art, and get some tile-map rendering working. I put the code online in a slightly modified form as my basecode/library, in case I had a good idea for a Compo game. But I’ll be honest, I really want to make this demake of my primary project, and I like the page of art I’ve done so far, so to be fair I’ll be entering the Jam instead.

    Eicking up where I left off, I now have map scrolling and object vs object collision (not to mention actual objects). I added some debug functionality to show the radius of objects, the radius of their currently equipped weapons, and the volumes of the per-tile collision. Right now though, I need to make object versus tile collisions work. I kinda wish I had spent time during the week getting all the collision stuffs working, but that’s alright. I’m jamming anyway. If I can get that done in the next 4 hours, that’ll have me in a good state for day 1.

    So my goal for the 72 hours is to get a basic playable game working. It wont be very fun, but should be functional. I plan to continue working above and beyond Ludum Dare, but I should be able to get a very strong foundation working within the 72.

    Stuff I’d like to finish:

    • Dummy map, manually created in code (skipping random generation for now).
    • Several enemies with very basic AI (if enter sight, go towards you)
    • Basic Combat
    • Several weapons to pick up (knife, sword)
    • Multiple Attacks per weapon type (slash, stab)
    • Barebones Inventory
    • Sound and Music

    Doable for sure, it just has to be done. The Ludum Dare website seems to be running great (at least I haven’t seen any problems), so my interruptions shouldn’t be too many (just a few hours tomorrow, and a few Monday). I’d like to have something playable by the time the Jam clock strikes zero.

    Anyways, it’s 6 PM now, which means 3 hours. Back to work! Gotta finish the collision!

    One Response to “Some progress from before the nap”

    Leave a Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.


    All posts, images, and comments are owned by their creators.

    [cache: storing page]