Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: ??? (Suggest a Theme)
  • Ludum Dare 30 Begins: in 22 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes, 30 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals (coming soon) | MiniLD #53 ]

Minicraft!

Posted by
    December 17th, 2011 9:10 pm

It’s now a couple of hours past half-time, and I decided on the direction for my game. I call it “Minicraft”, since it’s obviously going to get compared to Minecraft. ;)

Lacking is a bunch of more item interactions, more monsters, sounds, and some kind of game goal.

You can play the latest version here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ld48/ld22/index.html
    Comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated! :D

38 Responses to “Minicraft!”

1. flyinpancake says:

Awesome! This is fantastic, are you in the dare or the jam?
      I can’t wait till there a game goal and sounds!
      Good luck!

2. tunnel says:

your releasing your source code right? i really need to learn better game code :D

3. TehWut says:

Notch is going to the best, as usual. XD

4. Skriglitz says:

I’ve already looked at his source last night…was confused then again i don’t do direct image manipulation.

5. hitmanhaydn says:

How do you select an option in menu? I can scroll through them, but nothing I press allows me to go into any of the 3 options :(

6. Pyrofoux says:

You called your game like my fan-game Minecraft!
      You pouuvez test it here: http://pyrofoux.olympe-network.com/Projet%20Special/Jeu.html
      (He is in Beta)

7. Cookiefairy says:

The downloadable version just crashes

8. shippy says:

Great game for 48 hours of work – watching the streaming was oddly hypnotic. I’d like to be able to modify the code myself so I can learn a bit more about coding games in java, unfortunately I’m having trouble building (is that even correct for java?) the source. Can anyone give me some pointers?

I’m using java version “1.6.0_29″
      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_29-b11-402-11M3527)
      Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.4-b02-402, mixed mode)

on OSX Lion.

I’m sure I’ll figure it out eventually.

Anyway – great effort Notch!

9. [...] Minecraft-pappan Markus “Notch” Persson var som bekant med och spelet som han skapade heter Minicraft. Spelet är en lite enkel blandning mellan Minecraft och det första Legend of Zelda-spelet där man kontrollerar en liten snubbe som skall samla saker och döda ondingar. Om man vill spela detta spel så kan man göra det här. [...]

10. lowchef says:

AWESOME GAME! I WATCHED THE ENTIRE LIVESTREAM! YOU ARE THE FASTEST CODE WRITTER I HAVE EVER SEEN! IM GOING TO CREATE MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS JUST SO I CAN RATE THIS UP MULTIPLE TIMES!
      -lowchef (nhadder@gmail.com)

11. Noud says:

For some reason i only get a black screen

12. goffmog says:

Very slick and surprisingly addictive, actually so addictive that the biggest problem I have with it is that I can’t save my progress :( One of the few LD games I’ve played that I’m tempted to get into the source code of and make some “improvements” namely a bigger viewport, savegame feature, and removal of the annoying requirement to always have a workbench with you when you want to make new stuff

• minitalesim says:

If you want save search on Google videos: minicraft save, should be the first one, that says: Minitale: Minicraft – How to Save! – VerbalProcessing. There is a link in the description.

13. Drayle88 says:

H to the E to the Double L yeaaaahhh!!!

Epic game, awesome graphics, and simple enough to play at any time. I love this, All Hail Notch!

14. Josef27 says:

How to save the game? :(

But i liked it! :D

• minitalesim says:

15. sander9847 says:

wow you should realy make this into a full game.
      hope you min!!!
      its super fun to play!!!!!!!

16. sander9847 says:

*hope you Win!!!

17. Thee_Mantis says:

Great game notch :D. Its not amazing but its great and I hope you win! Also why are people saying the games not innovative? Its only slightly similar to minecraft, imo theres a big difference and its a completely different and awesome game :D!

18. SmoothCheeseCake says:

This is a brilliant little game Notch. I can just waist hours away on this for because it is so simple and fun. I know this is for the competition but if you were to put this on the app store and on androids I would defiantly buy it.

19. RedError Suru says:

Has actually someone FINISHED this game ? :D

I tried :

This game needs saves.
      But awesome, is it.

20. chiefy says:

great game notch. love it!

21. [...] Dare 22”の48時間部門に参加し開発した新作“Minicraft”(参考リンク:DL版、プレイ可能なページ)の続編「Minicraft [...]

22. General_Hewitt says:

I loved it… but i hated doing all my stuff when i died :P but i love it!

23. EvilDeathMuffin5 says:

why cant i play it!!!! it wont work!!!!! i wanted to play =(

24. ebennett365 says:

i cant play because of java :(

25. minitalesim says:

Nice game, VERY good for 48, + i love your minecraft, good luck!

———
      A few suggestion for the future minitale
      1. More mobs! (yes, you said this yourself.)
      2. More items! (yes, MORE ITEMS! :)
      3. More bosses. (right now, there’s just the air wizard)
      4. Finally, Placeable grass. (there’s placeable sand, but no grass? :O)

26. НЭО-Майнкрафт…

[...]Ludum Dare » Blog Archive » Minicraft![...]…

27. [...] As I’ve been learning Java I have taken a look at several source-code examples from previous Ludum Dare competitions (a 48-hour game jam where entrants work solo on a game which must include a theme which is announced at the start of the weekend).  Being a big Minecraft fan I’ve spent a lot of time checking out Notch’s recent #LD48 entry ‘minicraft’. [...]

28. mohammad says:

NOTCH PLEASE ENTER THIS LUDUM DARE !!!
      i miss u ;_;

29. mohammad says:

What engine do you use for your 3-D games?

30. […] I'm currently studying the source code of Minicraft, a video game Notch made for the Ludum Dare competition. Now, I've noticed something almost all open source Java games […]