Yeah, so we’re at T-minus 11.5 hours and that warmup game I wanted to do never happened (though I’ve been playing around with SDL.net!) and I still haven’t figured out whether SDL.net is viable for cross-platform. It’s looking pretty good, but I really want to do some more testing today.
On top of that, I want to be able to make myself a nice main loop sometime in the next 10 hours or so. I’ve found that just using the plain tick-60-times-a-second and draw-to-the-screen-every-time results in some jerkiness, so I’m assuming vsync is disabled. I think the ideal way of doing things is to use a fixed timestep, then save the render state (probably just as a plain old surface) from the previous frame so that I can do linear interpolation between the current frame and the previous frame depending on how much time is in the “accumulator” that is “left over”. The good part is that I actually think I’ve wrapped my head around the whole concept, so hopefully it shouldn’t be that hard to actually get working.
So, checklist for the next 10 hours or so:
-Check cross-platform compilation of SDL.net again (using Mono)
-Play around with using the Sprite class
-Set up a nice main loop with fixed timesteps and silky-smooth motion (bonus points for getting starter code up)
The good news is that developing with SDL.net is feeling a lot like XNA did–maybe even better. I love the fact that compilation is so fast, and that debugging isn’t a pain. I think C# just really clicks for me. Someday I’ll try out Python, but right now that’s the “funnest” language I have.
I’ve been running on less-than-normal sleep lately since this week has just been packed with stuff, so I might actually just spend the initial parts of LD trying to catch up on rest. Been having to do stuff like deliver xmas stuff, dance events, finals, final projects, etc.
I finished LoopMuse this week actually, as a final project for a class and that was made in a grand total of 3 days worth of work.
On the off-chance that I find out SDL.net is totally borked in some way or I just get fed up, I might instead use my old standard–C++ with SDL and OpenGL, in which case I will be using starter code, which will be ripped from one of my existing projects, such as this one on github (trying to disclose my starter code here in consideration of the rules). Or I might be crazy and just use pygame despite very rarely programming in python.
…on the plus side! Making music for my game should theoretically be a synch, as I’m used to making 5-minute songs in one hour. Check out what I made for yesterday’s “One Hour Compo” here: http://compo.thasauce.net/files/DDRKirby_ISQ__-_Shooting_Star(OHC166).mp3