So I’m entering Ludum Dare 22. So’s my brother and friend. The plan is to live stream our desktops (or the primary screen of them at least) , take a photo every 5 seconds for a time lapse, and record the information we place on out whiteboards. And here’s where I’m insane, I’m coding in a language I only decided to start learning today: Java. In about half an hour I set up a development environment, scripts to compile and run and a base program to do my logic loop (which I won’t be using come this weekend).
My set up is as follows:
- Intel Core i7 950
- 10GB DDR3 RAM
- 2 x 22″ 1080p LED Monitors
- 1 x 19″ 1440×900 LCD Screen in Portrait.
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64
And here’s a pretty picture of it all.
- Java (Main Client)
- PHP (High Scores or anything web based I want to implement)
- Game Maker (Fall back if Java ends up being insanely hard)
- Paint.Net (Pixel Art and Touch Ups)
- Fireworks/Photoshop (Vectorising Drawn Art)
- Notepad ++ (Programming)
- Open Office (Documentation)
- Game Maker (Fall Back Programming)
- VirtuaWin (Desktop Management, 3 Screens isn’t enough)
- pixie (Colour Selection)
Plan is to use mainly black and white, and maybe a red or two for colours. I’m going to be drawing and scanning my menu systems in, and then vectorising them. As for game ideas, I have a few, some that I won’t be able to do easily due to the lack of knowledge of Java, and some that would look epic and take virtually no time. Worst comes to worst I’ll make a text based adventure game and make a single nice piece of art for it.