Well, I may have screwed myself for the october challenge. I decided to change projects. I decided that a brainfuck interpreter for iphone is retarded, and no one would want to use it. Well maybe there are a few people. The other problem was that my core programming interface was really bad, and it was hard to enter programs. I just couldn’t bring myself to work on it more.
I decided to resurrect an old project that I never released. Itch is a partial clone of scratch for iOS. I wrote a bunch of it way back in the day, and even have videos and stuff. There were a few problems with it. One big one was that I never implemented saving, so it was a pain to work with. Another was that a bunch of the interesting opcodes were hidden in an arb opcode. Yet another was that I was paranoid about both apple and the scratch team, on one hand apple was way more strict about interpreted code, and on the other I didn’t really understand code licenses, and was afraid of the scratch one.
No longer! I have started rebuilding the project, and have a pretty good stab at it going after one weekend of work. I am probably just going to include the logo / turtle ops this time around, and leave the interactive and sprite drawing for another time. If I have time I might throw in some sound opcodes. To see.
In all likelyhood, this will make me miss the october deadline. I will try my hardest, but if I don’t make it, at least I am not putting out something that I think is a bad idea down at the core.