Tried to make my first game ever with a selfmade engine and in 48h: Escape Velocity is what came out of it.
What went right:
- Base code: Already having drawing code and good collision detection in my engine saved me so much work. I don’t think I’d have anything
- Real life: I managed to find time to BBQ with the family and go to the pub on LD weekend.. Food, Beer and Coding? Awesome.
What went wrong/Lessons learned:
- Physics: I really like physic based games.. but I really suck at coding them.
- Base code: I also tried to integrate the physics in the engine and that was a rather bad idea. I could have saved so much time if I’d just took the straightforward way.. next time: more work on the game, less work on the engine.
- Timelapse: next time I’ll make sure my script does not capture in 100% quality and I have enough disk space. Missing an hour or two in the video.
- Time for polish: There are a few tweaks I wanted to do but did not have the time to (especially how the gravity bullet behaves). Also more levels with greater diversity would have been nice.
Although my game is not that good, I really enjoyed making it and I think I’ll participate again next year (:
Now off to play all these awesome games!