Ludum Dare 31 — Coming December 5th-8th 2014! — Join the Mailing List!
  • October Ends: in 30 days, 3 hours, 52 minutes, 8 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 31 begins: in 65 days, 4 hours, 40 minutes, 8 seconds
  • (FYI: Clock might be off) | Ludum Dare 31: Real World Gatherings (Now Open!) | October Challenge 2014!

Pixexix – projection texturing tool

Posted by (twitter: @S0phieH)
    April 24th, 2011 1:45 am

just an FYI, I released a tool to help with texturing 3D models recently, there’s a free version and it may help with your ludum dare weekend if you find you normally spend too long texturing your 3D models.

Video (of an old and broken version, but shows how it works):

Some things I textured:

click for fullsize

also click for fullsize

> Click here for the website <

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “Pixexix – projection texturing tool”

1. gustav says:

Wow, looks great, I will definitely try it out!

2. Felipe Budinich says:

This tool looks awesome, I’ll definately try it out.

3. PoV says:

Flashbulb – Checkmark.

What Pixexix will not do:
      – Simply walk into mordor

Checkmark.

Indeed, I’ll have to check this out.

You do your modeling in Blender, right? Also, I’m curious what you actually built this with? Heh, Unity doesn’t let you make UI’s/Tools… does it?

4. Felipe Budinich says:

Hey Sophie:

I just downloaded your tool. It’s really intuitive, and I love software that does one task, and one task only, so far I like it a lot.

But i’ve found one “bug” that is windows 7 related, nothing serious but I’ll post it here so everyone knows:

1.- I downloaded the zip file
      2.- Uncompressed it to “program files”
      3.- Executed Pixexix
      4.- Put my photo editing software path
      5.- Took a snapshot
      6.- Clicked on “edit”
      7.- The photo editing software executes but there is no image to edit.

I fixed it by moving Pixexix folder from “program files” to my “desktop”. It must be something related to read/write permissions.

I’ll give you more feedback later ;-)

• yeah, I suspected there may be permissions issues on newer versions of windows. super odd that it wouldnt let it work from inside program files, but it would work from the desktop.

does windows 7 let you right click an application to edit its permissions simply?

5. JohnColburn says:

First I’d like to say that you should probably record a new video if that one is of an old/broken version. My partner and I thought it sounded cool, but then decided not to even try it based on problems apparent in the video. It would probably only take you an hour or two to make a new video, so why advertise with that one?

Also: I’m curious to know how you plan to enforce the thing about the free version only being used for non-commercial projects. Considering that you don’t have any copyright control over the textures produced by your software and no real way of monitoring its use, it just comes across as some sort of vague threat trying to scare people into paying you.

• PoV says:

The 1024×1024 limit should be enough for most “pro” users to update.

• I have no way of enforcing it. and I wouldn’t enforce it anyway.

it’s just my way of saying “hey, if you’re making money off me whilst I can’t pay bills, don’t be a dick and buy the software, its not expensive”

I didn’t mean for it to sound threatening, I’ll have to think about rewording it or clarifying that on the site somehow.

as for the video, you’re right, in fact I recorded another video recently but it got massively corupted when I saved it (turns out my computer doesn’t like juggling hours of uncompressed video). I’ll try again soon, I just got put off by doing a bunch of work that was wasted. ^__^;

6. Felipe Budinich says:

A quick test:

It was fairly simple to use, I only had some seam issues, but it’s a trouble with the unwrapping that wasn’t all that good on the provided test object. (I’ll provide you with a better unwrap ;-) )

7. gustav says:

Ow, I was just about to try it out when I saw that “- Work on OS/X” was under the “will do later” headline..

As someone who spent way too long (months!) on 3d art for my first released game I will totally buy this tool if it works well and on OS/X, so +1 for OS/X support as soon as possible!

Also, don’t be afraid to charge for commercial-use-licenses for your tools, especially if you’re making games/tools/stuff for a living..

8. Felipe Budinich says:

There you go, an unwrapped head* with occlusion map, and rendered uvs, so you can distribute a proper model with your tool :-D

* Based on a free, as in beer, and royalty free model by Bitmapworld, but removed non-quad poly’s, unwrapped and clayrendered by me