Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: Connected Worlds
  • Judging Ends: in 13 days, 23 hours, 2 minutes, 28 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | Warmup Weekend (Games) | MiniLD #53 | Wallpaper (1) (2) (3) | Mailing List ]

[ Play+Rate | Edit | View All Games | My Game ]

Ludum Dare 20 – April 29th-May 2nd Weekend

Posted by (twitter: @ludumdare)
    March 9th, 2011 8:52 pm

Like the topic says, Ludum Dare 20 is coming the final weekend of April (29th+)… and for the first time, crosses slightly in to May (PoV scheduled himself too much work early April… bad PoV… also Easter).

Watch the clock at the top of the site for your local start time, and hit up the rules page if you’re new to Ludum Dare. See y’all soon!

27 Responses to “Ludum Dare 20 – April 29th-May 2nd Weekend”

1. moltanem2000 says:

“April? that’s in no time at all! yay!”
      *looks at countdown*
      >50 days

oh boy

2. April 29th to May 2nd is Friday to Monday (i.e. 72 hours). Is that right?

3. Sos says:

This is no good :(
      Can’t it be sooner?

• PoV says:

The prior weekend is Easter weekend, a holiday involving many family gatherings in North America (at least). It was almost going to be mid April, but looking at my own schedule, I have just too much stuff hitting due dates in early/mid April, that late April just seemed the safest time to do it for me. Sorry!

• robolee says:

But I go on holiday on te 27th of april and come back on the 4th of may D:

Damnit, my hopes of putting out a decent ludum dare entry are shattered. :/ …I’ll just do my own ludum dare the weekend after I get back, crying all the while.

4. 50 days is just enough time to build a non-sucky framework and concoct excuses for ditching work and girlfriend on those dates; works for me.

5. Neilo says:

Finally, one I have free time for!! This time I may actually use my own tech I’ve been developing instead of writing it from scratch. Now to use my time before the competition to make it work on PC and Mac!

6. It’s gonna be my first official Ludum Dare entry! Im very eager for this!

I’ve been tasting some MiniLD’s and it all seems so cool!

Let’s do it people! :B

7. MrDude says:

Looking forward to this, definitely! It comes right after the end of my college semester, and it’ll be a great way to start the summer!

8. machinas says:

This will be my first ludum dare as a father, so I’m not sure what kind of time I’ll get in on it, but it will be something!

9. elbowroom says:

Hi,
      How does one ‘sign up’ for this event?

elbowroom

• Codexus says:

There is no official sign up required.

People sometimes like to make a blog post to tell the world they are participating during the week before the compo but that’s optional.

The only thing you need is an account on this site (which I guess you already have since you posted) so that when your game is done you’ll be able to submit it.

10. rorkimaru says:

Aw man, the start of May!? That’s exam season dude!

11. Epitaph64 says:

I’m rooting for voxels. After the huge splash Minecraft has made, and the up and coming game Ace of Spades, I think there is a lot of room for interesting games that use voxel engines!

• jovoc says:

That seems like too much of a “technology restriction” like 4-bit color or something. If you like voxels (and really, who doesn’t?) you can use a voxel engine for any theme. There were two entries last time that used point-sprite renderers (Sos and Notch), which are voxel-like.

Whereas if the game required one, we’d probably lose 90% of the participants. I don’t think I could get a voxel engine running in 48 hours, let alone built a game on top of it.

12. elbowroom says:

Hi,

When does the theme voting thing start or is the topic selected by someone?

Thanks.

• jovoc says:

Week before the compo.

• MrDude says:

The themes voting things starts about 168 hours before the compo (Give or take a few) and we’re given four rounds with lots of themes that we can either vote +1 (Like), -1 (Don’t Like), or 0 (Meh). The fifth round has the winners from the first four and usually a joke theme or two thrown in by the good folks running the show.

13. [...] companion and rising. I’m planning to make a little game for that, and then soon after that Ludum Dare 20 is here! Besides those compos I have a little game project that I hope to finish before LD20. [...]

14. Nugsy says:

If you need help sorting through the themes let me know. I have alot of free time this week.

15. [...] Ludum Dare 20 – April 29th-May 2nd Weekend [...]