Can now actually win and lose levels! Added a cheap-ass main menu with level select.
I’ll have a few hours tomorrow morning to somehow magically tweak gameplay to be more fun, do music, add more baddies. (Design calls for three, only have one, and I’m just using a tinted hero sprite at that!)
Want went right today:
- Whipped out really cool random level generation algo, it guarantees that each part of the building is accessible. Really, I guess I made sort of a side-view maze generator.
- Added zoom settings per level – The screenshot above is zoomed way out.. I might leave a level like that just for fun, even though it’s hard to play that way. An unexpected consequence of zooming out is it sort of minimizes the bad artwork.
- Main menu works, took a detour to make it all keyboard controllable so you don’t have to keep switching back to the mouse. It’s the little things. Plus, this is going to be a Proton SDK sample eventually so I want its code to be usefully copyable
What went wrong:
- Bad art is bad
- Original design wasn’t much fun, dumped half of it.. better, but it still not there
- Behind schedule.. feeling bad that I skipped weekend ultimate frisbee with Cosmo (my kid) for like the first time in a year.. you’re a cruel master, LD.
- Still have no real cosmetic theme or name to tie everything together. it’s just so generic and I HATE generic. Dream self, please figure this out during tonight’s repose
- Connection to the “Discovery” theme feels weak