Phil and I are discussing some ideas for the 10 year anniversary of Ludum Dare (2012). In addition to assuming the Mayan’s are correct, we want our 10 year celebration to be big. We’re still figuring out what that means, but I know a number of you like to do fun things with your timelapse videos.
So in the case we start doing LD exhibits or related events, I’d like to offer some suggestions that’ll make those videos more useful to us.
- Keep the video under 5 minutes (less is better).
- Show the theme and event number at the beginning (so people know what you’re doing — you can’t always read the description).
- Show the finished game at the end.
- Take credit!
- The more unique/interesting/amusing the video is, the more likely we’ll want to show it
- Music with a license that doesn’t require us to pay royalties is preferred.
- 16:9 is preferred (since TV’s are all that aspect now), but 4:3 is fine.
- Upload it to Youtube, so we can make a playlist.
- Keep a high quality original around for a while. I will be contacting a few of you within a month of the event for an original (and your permission to show it).
I’ll be collecting videos in each event of 2011, so you have plenty of chances to out-do your prior videos.
Again, you are not required to follow my guidelines, or make a video at all. If you don’t think you can make a good game while being recorded, focus on the game instead. Thanks everyone!