Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: ??? (Suggest a Theme)
  • Ludum Dare 30 Begins: in 27 days, 7 hours, 45 minutes, 39 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals (coming soon) | MiniLD #53 ]

LD19 preparation

Posted by (twitter: @thinkslow_fr)
    December 2nd, 2010 8:25 am

Hi all !

for my first LD event, I will try to make a game using html5 + canvas (and maybe SVG with the use of raphaelJs library).

Having a flash + haXe background, I think this is a good opportunity to test the technology and see whether things can happen.

Anyway, as I don’t want to spend my whole week-end building a library, I will prepare a few helpers to get things started early so I can focus on the game code itself.

See you all !

Whitetigle

5 Responses to “LD19 preparation”

1. MrDude says:

Welcome to the fun!

If you’re preparing code beforehand, you will need to release it soon under an open source license if you want to compete in the main event. However, it’s fine if you’re entering the jam. :)

HTML5, huh? If I recall, it only works properly in Chrome… Well, plenty of folks here use Chrome, though. (Not all, but quite a few)

Anyway, welcome to Ludum Dare! :D

2. whitetigle says:

Ok !
      If I manage to create something beforehand, I’ll release everything before the competition (even though, it may lack quality… ).

I will post a link here. Is there anything else I need to do before the actual event ?

• MrDude says:

It’s not an actual requirement, but I’d say that you should stock up on snacks and drinks. You get hungry during LD, and going to the store takes time.

Also, you only need to release things beforehand if you’re competing in the main compo. Please, let me explain.

(I’m sorry if you already know this, and someone will probably link to the rules wiki, but I’ll explain regardless)

Since the LD #18, there are two events for each LD: A competition and a jam.

The competition requires that you must only use code and libraries released openly for a reasonable length of time before the compo begins, as well as (Of course) code and assets you create during the compo.

The jam is much more relaxed. Since the jam isn’t really competitive (Not scored, at least), you could well just drag in a half-finished project that is relevant to the theme.

Another difference is that the main compo is 48 hours long (As advertised) but the jam is 72 hours long. If you enter a game into the main compo, you can still move it into the jam at any time.

Anyway, just thought I’d explain, since you sounded a little unsure.

Peace

– Mr. Dude

• Folis says:

So MrDude’s text in short version:

Since LD #18 there are 2 Events:

Compo:

• 48 Hours.
        • You must work solo (except the theme tells something ’bout co-op)
        • You MUST post your source-code
        • Any content-creation tool is allowed (like sfxr for Sound Effects, Game Maker, Paint.Net and such).
        • You will be judged by the community.

Jam:

• It’s 72 Hours long.
        • You can work solo or in a team.
        • You don’t need to post a source.
        • You can use any existing assets or code.
        • You won’t be judged.

Also this ( http://sol.gfxile.net/ldsurvival.html ) may help you preparing.

and now; Welcome to the place where they keep all the insane game coders! (Just kiddin’ but LD really is fun!)

Greetings