Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: Connected Worlds
  • Judging Ends: in 13 days, 20 hours, 35 minutes, 21 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | Warmup Weekend (Games) | MiniLD #53 | Wallpaper (1) (2) (3) | Mailing List ]

[ Play+Rate | Edit | View All Games | My Game ]

Compo Source Code Missing List (UPDATED, None Missing!)

Posted by
    August 23rd, 2010 1:37 am

Ok, I have downloaded and verified the source code of every entry in the compo.

All sources available guys, thanks!

Also, people are posting their compo source code counts on this thread. I am going to try to do some reports based on the source code for statistics on things like language used, framework used, average lines of code, etc. Anything you can add here about your source would be helpful.

21 Responses to “Compo Source Code Missing List (UPDATED, None Missing!)”

1. allen says:

I dunno what’s worse, the fact these guys neglected to upload their source code or the fact you actually spent time checking each and every entry.

Nah, definitely the latter. 172 entries and you downloaded each and every one and opened up the source to make sure it was legit? A little weird and over-zealous if you ask me.

• Why with the hate allen? Not everyones values are the same, and as sfernald’s checked the lot out, the rest of us are free to not bother. That has to be a good thing, right?

It’s a valuable service, thanks for taking the time (I certainly wouldn’t have had the patience for it)>

• mikeysee says:

^^^ What he said. Its good that someone is going round checking. Nice one sfernald

• Doches says:

Marr. It sets the wrong tone — we’re not a rigid, rule-based competition! This is the first time I’ve heard anyone use the word “disqualified” in connection with Ludum Dare, and it bothers me a little. There’s nothing to win here, people. We do it because we love it, not because we’re in it to compete.

The actual voting, you might have noticed, isn’t all that important to the compo. It’s just a way to guide people into playing games.

• Well, I’m not quite sure I’d agree with you there. Whilst LD is certainly best considered a “for the fun/love of it” event, there is (and has been for some time) some disparity between the ways people interpret that.

For some, fun means having a good excuse to do some casual game dev in good company. For others (myself included), fun means all that *and* a little serious competition. As I see it it’s the disparity between these two groups of people that lead to the (well chosen) competition/jam split; those that want to compete can compete, those that just want to jam out can do that, and everyone in-between can do whatever feels right at the time.

Or framing my argument in a different way, if we don’t care about the rules at all why even have them?

This is all pretty academic though. It was the tone not the argument in allen’s comment that rubbed me up the wrong way. “A little weird and over-zealous” isn’t a particularly nice way to talk about someone, especially someone who is trying to help.

Anyway I’ll leave it there, I don’t want to end up like http://xkcd.com/386/

• sfernald says:

Didn’t get my entry finished on time, so I had some extra energy to use up. Just trying to help out guys ;)

We have revised, clear rules now and an alternative for those who just want to have fun, so I think it’s safe to be a tad more formal about the sticking to the rules as well.

Not meant as a bad thing actually. For example, I love to play basketball on an open court with friends, but nothing compares to participating in a game that is being reffed. That is the real thing!

So don’t go being a ref hater ;)

2. mwest says:

Hmmm, I did specify a link for source code… I think it may have required a Google login, but I’ve made sure now that it should be accessible to anybody without a login (so hating my hosting company atm – if their support was more responsive I wouldn’t need to be hosting this stuff on my Google Docs).

Could someone please test if you can access my source code now?

3. Covenant says:

Bah, forgot to upload it, it’s there now… BTW, it should be mandatory for competition entries, that way I wouldn’t have missed it when I added my entry…

4. sfernald says:

Actually having only 13 entries out of almost 180 entries submitted without source is pretty amazing.

Later on, I want to try to do a report to show the stats on languages and frameworks used, etc. I think that would be interested to many people.

• Doches says:

A breakdown of languages & frameworks would be /amazing/ — I wonder why no one’s done that in the past? It seems so obvious, so informative, so…cool.

• Doches says:

…on that note, couldn’t you just run `sloccount’ on the directory containing all of the code and get a language breakdown? Probably a pointlessly large man-hour count, too…

• sfernald says:

Yeah, but some people start with pretty large frameworks/engines with source code. Some entries leave frameworks like flixel in their source, some don’t. The results might be misleading.

Still, if done my hand, carefully, a source code line count might be fairly representative I think.

5. Neonlare says:

Got my Source-code uploaded, hopefully this clears the issue :D

6. samel says:

Great idea the loc cout! And the language of course! Here are mine

Language: C
      LOC: 1079 [game] + 2015 [framework]

And you?

7. Covenant says:

C++

Game -> 2951 lines
      Framework -> 14638 lines

Framework is kind of “bloated” code for this game, since it includes lots of 3d stuff (particle system, mesh managment, 3ds file loader, etc, etc), and includes stuff like D3D initialization ripped from the DirectX tutorials, etc…

Anyway, surprised the game code had almost 3K lines… :)

8. jovoc says:

C++

Game -> 1753 LOC
      Basecode -> 2398 LOC (not counting GLee + image loaders which is another 22kLOC)

I would saw most of that basecode got used in the entry. Pretty high coverage, though I didn’t measure it. Did a bit of work on the basecode during the compo, so the total written is probably around 2kLOC.

That’s pretty typical for me. I usually write about 1-2kLOC for a contest.

joel