Ludum Dare 31 — Coming December 5th-8th 2014! — Join the Mailing List!
  • October Ends: in 29 days, 9 hours, 44 minutes, 17 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 31 begins: in 64 days, 10 hours, 32 minutes, 17 seconds
  • (FYI: Clock might be off) | Ludum Dare 31: Real World Gatherings (Now Open!)

[ October Challenge 2014 | Resources | Submit/Edit | View All ]

My Secret Weapon for LD #18

Posted by
    May 24th, 2010 9:12 pm

I’ve spent a little time creating some template code for the next LD event, after failing at LD #17. I wanted to share this, in case any other Linux devs can benefit.

My template doesn’t do much, which is sort of the point given the nature of Ludum Dare. I wanted to gather up some basic functionality that I consider to be fair to use, and probably already available to many other LD’ers using existing game engines like OGRE, etc. Using this I hope to be able to get a quicker start during the events.

I’m using Linux, C++, CMake, SFML, GLee, OpenGL, and OpenAL. Here are the features I’m going for:

• Get a window up on the screen. Admittedly, this isn’t too hard thanks to SFML.
    • Load music / sound files from disk, and play them.
    • Load UV texture-mapped 3D objects exported from Blender (http://blender.org/) and display them using OpenGL VBOs. The Blender export script I’ve created is included.
    • Render bitmapped fonts using image files loaded from disk.
    • Build either a Linux or Windows executable by changing a CMake flag (I have a mingw32 cross compilation set up, installed).

You can download my template here: ld48_template.tar.gz

If you can use this, or have time to build the sample app and give me some feedback, that would be awesome. Thanks!

-Windsor

P.S. I just read PoV’s post about packaging Linux applications. I’ll have to put some of those techniques to use in the next version of my template.

Template application running.

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “My Secret Weapon for LD #18”

1. pekuja says:

I like this. Could you provide a preconverted version of the sample model though? It seems like the export script doesn’t work in Blender 2.49 and I don’t really feel like porting it.

• winferno says:

pekuja, the sample model already exists as an exported file (res/burger.dat), which is the output of the export script, and only contains vertex and UV data. That’s what the application loads. Does the script give you an error message in the console? I’m using Blender 2.49b, I don’t know how different that is from 2.49.

• pekuja says:

I’m pretty sure there’s no res/burger.dat in the package you provided. I did however get the Blender exporter to work now. The problem was that I didn’t have the model selected.

I’m now running the example application. Is the hamburger supposed to spin *really* fast? Meaning several revolutions per second. Possibly a whole revolution per frame.

• winferno says:

You were right, I forgot to add burger.dat to my svn repo before I exported it. I’ve updated the archive in my original post, and I also fixed the super fast rotation. It would have only looked correct if you were running an Intel Atom. Apparently you have a faster computer than I do. ;) Now it should lock rate based on an SFML timer. Thanks for catching that for me.

2. PoV says:

Very cool. I’m hoping to do something like that myself too. I have all the pieces, they just need to be cleaned up and assembled nicely.

Also, nice Hamburger. :D

3. pants12 says:

not much of a secret huh? but its nice:D

4. lurreluck says: