Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: ??? (Suggest a Theme)
  • Ludum Dare 30 Begins: in 25 days, 14 hours, 40 minutes, 15 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals (coming soon) | MiniLD #53 ]

Ludum Dare 17 Theme Voting has Begun!

Posted by (twitter: @ludumdare)
    April 19th, 2010 2:35 pm

Theme voting has begun! Tune in every day this week for a new round of theme voting. Then on Thursday, we’ll tally the votes and begin a final round of voting for the best theme, to be revealed at the start time Friday night (see clock on ludumdare.com/compo/).

Theme Voting: Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | Round 4 | Final Round

37 Responses to “Ludum Dare 17 Theme Voting has Begun!”

1. crackerblocks says:

I hereby pledge that whatever the theme ends up being, I shall do that theme + Twilight Fandom.

2. drZool says:

Yay, that was the most positive voting I’ve done in LD for years. Many interesting themes I want to play.

• laremere says:

Agreed. I voted positively on many of those themes, can’t wait to see what the winning theme will be, though I don’t know how much time, if any, I’ll be able to spend on making a game this time.

3. SonnyBone says:

yay for voting

4. thedaian says:

I am going to start a write in campaign for Fishing. It was a good theme, cut down in it’s prime.

Vote Fishing.

5. [...] Ludumdare 17 theme voting has began. Not much to say about that so far. Haven’t participated in wiki theme list generation this time but seen some interesting theme for myself there. [...]

6. GanonsSpirit says:

Everyone vote for Baked Goods as Weapons! You know you want to!

7. 31eee384 says:

Wow, round two has a lot of experimental-type ideas. Lots of up votes from me! (I already had ideas for parallel universes and simultaneous before, and wanted to try them out.)

Unfortunately I can’t participate (although maybe I’ll make something on-theme later), but I look forward to some great games!

8. Codexus says:

Mmmm, from the first results, it looks like we can expect a very general non-constraining theme again…

Also it’s funny how the site seems relatively quiet and yet 200 people are voting on these things, the silent majority rules.

9. Fiona says:

COME ON EVOLUTION come on come on

10. MrPhil says:

I pledge that I might participate and at least I’ve cleared the weekend.

11. madk says:

I’d love to do rails.

12. ickylevel says:

Terrible theme voting :(

13. ickylevel says:

Theses themes are not restrictives enougth…

14. Morre says:

I sort of agree with ickylevel. Why didn’t “That was easy – a little too easy…” make the cut to voting, for example?

There’s enough redundance in this list that a few themes could be cut to make room for more unusual / more restrictive themes. For example, falling and downfall have enough common interpretations that one of them could be cut. It might even make more people vote for the other one.

15. Wiering says:

I agree, most themes are too general. Too bad the “second and third theme combined” didn’t get through, that could have been interesting.

16. Xopods says:

I’m pulling for Islands or Flood… basically I think that a good theme is one that doesn’t dictate what genre or style of gameplay anyone’s forced to use. It should be, well, thematic.

Pity Edge got so downvoted… I guess most people didn’t get the reference, but it would have been great if that was chosen.

• jovoc says:

Personally, I didn’t like it specifically because of the reference — LD should be about making innovative games that stand on their own, not trying to force every entrant to comment on current events… Of course, that shouldn’t stop anyone that wants to from making a ‘Edge’ game with whatever the theme is — I want to see FISHING EDGE and GET PEPERS EDGE… :) It would be great…

Go TOWLR EDGE….

17. sf17k says:

Argue about what themes should’ve made it here:

18. ickylevel says:

Outnumbered lol ? Tell me a game where the player isn’t outnumbered.

19. PsySal says:

I think that next time we should weight theme voting by how well each voter placed in the last compo.

Hahaha no… NOT SERIOUS GUYS!

However one thing to note, there seems to always be two types of themes, and I wonder if we made it bi-themed would work. One theme type is like, “thematic” and would be e.g., twilight fandom, pirates, outer space. The other type of theme is like, “mechanic” and would be e.g., gravitation, evolution, falling, outnumbered, gears, etc.

Now some could be taken either way. Like evolution (which I voted down! baaah) could be something along the lines of the story of the dinosaurs as a SF2 fighting game (hey, nobody ever makes fighting games for LD…) or it could be a game with evolution as a mechanic.

But for me, I always just vote down the mechanic ones and vote up the thematic ones, because I’m like that.

Tchus!

20. zez says:

Oh man, I have the best idea for a pretentious art game for the theme isolation! Itl be awesome, its already playing out in my head. Ofcourse, if the theme winds up being pretentious art games, I have an even better Idea for a streets of rage/fatal furry/ punch everyone in the face till they die for no good reason game.

21. ickylevel says:

Ok ok VOTE FLOOD or PERPETUOUS MOVEMENT !

I have ridiculously stupid ideas for theses ones.