I mainly felt like goofing around this weekend, so I did. Had a vague idea for a game where you’d fly around in a cave-like world generated from audio data, but I “needed” implicit surface rendering for that, so I set out to experiment with the tech. I wasn’t too surprised to find that I didn’t have any desire to make game code after the rendering was working… I just played with different visual effects instead.
Here’s a collage of notable screenshots produced:
The first raw version ran at an abysmal 1 fps or so at 640×480, but after adding some biliearly filtered variable resolution rendering based on image-space local contrast and threading it to use dual cores, I managed to kick it up to some 20-25 fps for “friendly” scenes (meaning not too much visible edge detail).
Most of the screenshots are from “bruteforce” renders though, showing no optimization artifacts. The optimized version has a mild muddy/compressed look. Putting all of this in a shader would result in much simpler code and greater performance with no visual degradation… I might have to try it some day.
You can download the (messy) source and a few builds here: drpetter-minild-ds.zip
I also made a quick tune based on one of the drumloops given: destroyloop.mp3
Overall it was a fun weekend. Sorry for not producing a game…