Home | Rules and Guide | Sign In/Create Account | Write a Post | Reddit | #LD48 | #ludumdare on irc.afternet.org (Info)

Ludum Dare 29 — April 25th-28th Weekend [9 PM EST] — Theme: ??? (Theme Voting!)
  • Ludum Dare 29 Compo (48 Hour+Solo+Scratch+Src) Begins: in 4 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes, 21 seconds
  • Ludum Dare 29 Jam (72 Hour+Teams OK+Relaxed) Begins: in 4 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes, 22 seconds
  • [ MiniLD 50 | Warmup Weekend April 19th-20th | Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | Wallpaper ]


    Postmortem…

    Posted by
    April 30th, 2009 5:55 am

    Outline of 48hrs as I recall it…

    Day before compo…

    Stayed up too late on Chatroom, just getting hyped about the competition – Should have slept more.

    Got up at 4am to check theme – found that it was AWOD couldn’t think of anything and went to bed.

    Got up again jotted down game concept in notebook (see below)

    Full Design Document

    Went to work knocking together basic sprite object – I know I should have grabbed a pre-developed set of objects but at least I can refine and reuse these now!

    Went for a very free form map, no tiles just objects relying completely on BlitzMax’s in built pixel perfrect collision detection.

    In the first day I managed to get the basic game mechanics working block growing, turrets firing, player deploying turrets - it was now almost a game.

    Went to sleep thinking about adding towns, people, animals, plants running from the AWOD… Dream on!

     

    Day two

    Added screen, levels, win/lose states, basic sound effects

    Afternoon – time was running down fast added …

    Powerups – providing a limited upgrade to turrets

    Base something for the player to defend and powerups to appear next too

    Last minute play testing

    Quickly zipping and posting it near the deadline - Phew Final post

    What went right…

    I managed to create a game in 48 hours!

    I avoided getting tied into the complexity of a tile based system, thankfully BlitzMax’s collision detection works well!

    I kept the ‘artwork’ to the bare basic minimum – inspired by the BUPA adverts (Coloured circles as people)

    I kept the design very simple as well.

    My Keep It Simple Stupid – KISS approach worked!

    What went wrong…

    Wrote too much code to start with I need a basic prototyping framework for at least sprites, collision detection, screens, menu ect.

    Then I could have spent more time designing filling out the game design further but staying flexible, this might have prevented the last minute addition of powerups and base leaving next to no time for game testing balancing.

    Motivation wandered during day two, it was a playable prototype and therefore in theory a game, thankfully I managed to get moving again and ‘polish’ it up a bit, again a framework will make this a none issue.

    I quickly realised that there was a performance issue with the block count, once you get over the 1000 mark the framerate really drops so I had to limit that.

    I wanted a wrap around world where you can’t run away from the wall of doom, althought this should have been an easy thing to add I did not get around to adding it, possibly resting on my laurels a bit!

    In Summary

    I really enjoyed this although I wish I had setup a time laps screen capture, probably not a webcam feed ;o).

    Well I must judge some more of the other amazing entries, Looking forward to the next competition already!

    Regards

    Merx

     

     

     

     

    Tags: ,

    Leave a Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.


    All posts, images, and comments are owned by their creators.

    [cache: storing page]