Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: ??? (VOTE NOW!)
  • Ludum Dare 30 Begins: in 11 hours, 14 minutes, 12 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | Warmup Weekend (Get Ready for LD!) | MiniLD #53 | Wallpaper (1) (2) (3) ]

Fleedom – Progress Continues..

Posted by
    April 18th, 2009 12:14 pm

So, I have another playable build of my work in progress available.

Play it here in your favorite browser

It now has an enemy ship wave manager so I can build out the Wall of Doom(tm) that you must escape through to rescue the last of your race.

I also took a suggestion to map the fleet pattern echeleons to the Z/X/C/V keys.. four patterns in all.

Give it a whirl if you’d like as I’d love to hear any feedback.  I’m trying to get absolutely as much of the gameplay done before screwing around with any graphics this time.  I think it is actually progressing really well for once!

The game just ends right now when all the enemy ships go by.  Also.. if you lose all your ships you have to refresh your browser to continue!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Fleedom – Progress Continues..”

1. Fiona says:

Can I suggest you mapping the layouts to 1-4 keys too because it’s currently nigh on impossible to play on non-QWERTY layouts. (I use Dvorak.)

2. Redbone says:

Of course, you need to not let the ships out of the screen and skip everything!
      Well done.

3. HybridMind says:

@redbone.. hah.. yeah– umm.. right now the version is ‘play honest’ style.. :)

collision detection of boundaries is on list…. hehe

@fiona: great feedback.. I can offer a whole lot of keys actually… anyone else freely shout out your faves.. ;)

4. Shabloosh says:

I think wasd to move and hjkl to switch would be nice :P

5. HybridMind says:

@Shabloosh: if you’re being serious.. (i think you are) I can do that too

6. georgek says:

wow, I really like this! Are you going to add any kind of power-up for shields or something like that? Or an energy reserve to blast holes in ships?

7. HybridMind says:

@georgek: a lot will all depend on time… I will definitely be releasing a post-compo version.. but I’m aiming for a compo version that is at least a fun game.. we’ll see what can make the deadline cut!

Of course I’d love it to be the most epic space shooter evar… but..

8. Shabloosh says:

I was being half serious. It would be a cool set up… but it is after all a 48 hour compo.

9. hamburger says:

This is fun. It reminds me a lot of “Xoldiers” by Cactus and Terry Cavanaugh – have you played that? http://distractionware.com/blog/?p=391

One of the cool things about the basic mechanic is that there’s sort of a built in handicap – as you lose guys, it becomes a bit easier because there are fewer of them to protect. So when you get down to one guy it’s pretty easy to keep him alive, but that’s cool cuz if he does die it’s game over.

Have you thought about sending swarms of tiny enemies, aligned to fit between the gaps in the player’s formation? :)

10. HybridMind says:

Heya hamburger! No, I haven’t played Xoldiers.. sounds like something I’ll have to check out!

Yeah– as I’ve been playtesting this thing I’ve noticed that unintended handicap.. that your last little ship left.. (worth the least points, but still a “win”) has an easier chance in getting through. I guess that is really cool… it would be interesting to play around more with those types of mechanics.

I’m not quite sure I know what you mean by your last comment about sending the swarms aligned for the players formation? You mean.. so they could pass through the tiny gaps between players fleet ships? Those would be tiny indeed! :)

I may do homing missles.. those are like tiny ships right? ;)

11. HybridMind says:

@Shabloosh: It is trivial to add.. if it makes at least one player happy.. i’ll do it.. ;)