Home | Rules and Guide | Sign In/Create Account | Write a Post | Reddit | #LD48 | #ludumdare on irc.afternet.org (Info)

Ludum Dare 30 — August 22nd-25th 2014 — Theme: ??? (VOTE NOW!)
  • Ludum Dare 30 Begins: in 9 hours, 16 minutes, 35 seconds
  • [ Real World Gatherings | Ludum Deals | Warmup Weekend (Get Ready for LD!) | MiniLD #53 | Wallpaper (1) (2) (3) ]


    maximalist: a cover of GBGames LD#11 ‘minimalist’ minigame

    Posted by (twitter: @OMGWTFGAMES)
    November 9th, 2008 12:41 am

    Here’s my entry for mini-LD#5.

    It’s a cover of GBGames LD#11 entry, ‘minimalist’; turned evil. I like to think of it as a minimalist survival horror.

    You can download maximalist and read more details here.

    There is a gameplay video here … but it leaves off the surprise ending, so you still have to play the game :).

    The goal is to complete 25 levels an achieve the highest score possible.

    Libraries used: Pygame, Rabbyt (including the pygame_font.py font rendering code), my (alpha) simplemenu library.

    Tools used: The Gimp, Sfxr (DrPetter saves the day, yet again), Audacity, oggenc

    I used a scanner to ‘photograph’ various objects around the house (including myself) to provide source images for further manipulation.

    Assests: “Squealer” font by Ray Larabie, A scan of my face, A scan of a carved wooden ‘skull’ box on my desk, some hand drawn sprites (exit and glowstick), me screaming into the microphone.

    Things I learned

    Rendering fonts using the Rabbyt library is a little ugly unless you are using Pyglet for textures. I was using Pygame, so while I was able to use the pygame_font.py code which comes with Rabbyt to render fonts, it just felt wrong.

    Source control (SVN) saved my butt this time. I was happily coding away, when I realized a few revisions ago the game performance had really dropped … constant slowdowns and jitters. I checked out copies of several revisions back and tested them to see at which revision things started to go all sluggish. Then, looking at the svn diffs (using Trac), I could see that it was my implementation of the score rendering code that was the likely culprit. Sure enough, making some sensible changes fixed the slowdowns … silky smooth gameplay again :)

    I also learned that I perform better when I’m more relaxed … I deliberately choose a very simple game to ‘cover’ so I could focus more on graphics and polish, and I wasn’t even fully committed to completing the game this weekend. Taking a laid back approach really helped (at least it felt better).

    Tags: , ,

    5 Responses to “maximalist: a cover of GBGames LD#11 ‘minimalist’ minigame”

    1. nilsf says:

      Superb ending! :D

    2. Hamumu says:

      Nice… this seems to be the LD for disturbing games. You know you can cheat by just leaving the screen in windowed mode!

    3. ArmchairArmada says:

      I probably deserved what I got in the end. I cheated the whole way through the game. In windowed mode you can teleport by simply moving off the window.

    4. GBGames says:

      Hah! I’m honored! And I love your cover! The graphics are pretty scary and trippy.

    5. pansapiens says:

      Hmm … you know I wasn’t that sneaky in my testing and didn’t even notice that obvious teleport exploit (*blush*) :) … it’s actually a nice test of simple lateral thinking (I failed). I guess I should make ‘electric’ edges or something ….

      GBGames: Scary ! Mission accomplished ! I hope I was able to do the original justice :)

      My best score, without ‘cheating’, is 130 (died on the second last level) … since the levels are random, I guess it’s only a matter of time before a perfect score is achievable.

      In case anyone skipped the README … you get 10 points for exiting a level, you lose 5 points for using a glowstick, and your score is HALVED each time you die. Since there are 25 levels, the perfect score should be 250.

    Leave a Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.


    All posts, images, and comments are owned by their creators.

    [cache: storing page]